Subject: [L1vpn] Draft liaison to SG13 from L1VPN

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:57:16 -0000

Hi,

In Vancouver we reminded ourselves that we should send ITU-T SG13 a
liaison to let them know how we are progressing.

Below is a draft. please comment by the 30th of November.

Thanks,
Adrian
 ========
From: IETF L1VPN Working Group
To: ITU-T Study Group 13
For: Information

Subject: Status of Layer One VPN Work in the IETF

The L1VPN Working Group would like to take this opportunity to inform
ITU-T Study Group 13 of its progress on the development of protocol
solutions for Layer One VPNs.

The L1VPN Working Group was chartered in the summer of this year. You can
see the details of the scope of work for the working group at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/l1vpn-charter.html.

The working group has so far produced two documents:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-framework-00.txt
presents a framework for L1VPNs and draws much of its material from
Recommendations Y.1312 and Y.1313. The purpose of this framework is to aid
in developing and standardizing protocols and mechanisms to support
interoperable L1VPNs. The document examines motivations for L1VPNs, high
level (service level) requirements, and outlines some of the architectural
models that might be used to build L1VPNs.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-applicability-00.txt
provides an applicability analysis on the use of Generalized Multiprotocol
Label Switching (GMPLS) protocols and mechanisms to satisfy the
requirements of Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (L1VPNs). In addition,
this document identifies areas where additional protocol extensions or
procedures are needed to satisfy the requirements of L1VPNs, and provides
guidelines for potential extensions. The intention is that, as new
protocol extensions are developed to meet the requirements identified here
and in the framework document, this document will convert to being a
simple applicability statement.

The working group believes that these two documents are largely stable,
and is now working to develop protocol solutions for the "Basic Mode"
L1VPN. This mode of operation involves only signaling protocol exchanges
(i.e. no routing) between CE and PE in the network.

Two Internet-Drafts currently exist in support of the protocol extensions
needed for the Basic Mode as identified in the applicability draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fedyk-l1vpn-basic-mode-00.txt
describes an operational model using either provisioning or a VPN
auto-discovery mechanism and defines signaling extensions for the L1VPN
Basic Mode.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery-00.txt
defines a BGP-based auto-discovery mechanism for Layer One VPNs that
allows the provider network devices to dynamically discover the set of PEs
having ports attached to CEs member of the same VPN.

The working group is likely to adopt work items based on these
Internet-Drafts in the near future.

A further work item to provide an OSPF-based auto-discovery mechanism is
being developed but is not available at this time.

The L1VPN Working Group would like to encourage the involvement of all
interested parties through the open mailing list. Subscription details can
be found at the charter page
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/l1vpn-charter.html).

The review and feedback of Study Group 13 on any of this work would also
be most welcome.

 Regards,
Tomonori Takeda
Hamid Ould-Brahim
Adrian Farrel
(L1VPN Working Group co-chairs)

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn

---

From: dimitri papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:46:02 +0100

hi adrian -

ok for me - as the discussion concerning the extended mode have just 
started it might appropriate to add a line on this (as this could be of 
interest of a broader community)

thanks,
- dimitri.

Adrian Farrel wrote:

> .