Subject: [L1vpn] Comment on draft-ietf-l1vpn-framework-02

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:10:46 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

(Not subscribed, hopefully this'll get through to the list.)

I read draft-ietf-l1vpn-framework-02.  I found it reasonably clear to 
understand, and I think it's ready or almost ready for publication.

One thing that kept intriguing me (this may be because I haven't 
studied the GMPLS background material very much) is what exactly are 
the options for CE-PE control plane connectivity at IP level (and as a 
generalization, the whole control plane connectivity end-to-end). 
The doc specifically assumes that such exists for some models, but 
doesn't describe how and the requirements for such.  This seems like 
an important point to me.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn

---

From: Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:57:20 +0900

Hi Pekka,

Thanks for your comments.
# Since you are not subscribed to the list, it was bounced back to chairs.

As you may be aware (e.g., see RFC3945), GMPLS allows any type of control 
channel to be used as long as there is IP reachability.

In L1VPN framework, there is some description about requirements for CE-PE 
control channels in security considerations section (section 12). If a 
control channel is physically separate per VPN (e.g., in-fiber in-band 
SONET/SDH overhead bytes), it is relatively secure. But if a control 
channel is physically shared by multiple VPNs (e.g., out-of-fiber ethernet 
cable connected to a hub), some security mechanisms may be needed depending 
on trust model.

# NOTE: -03 version is now available, but text related to above is the same 
as -02 version.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
Tomonori

At 15:10 06/05/02 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
>One thing that kept intriguing me (this may be because I haven't studied 
>the GMPLS background material very much) is what exactly are the options 
>for CE-PE control plane connectivity at IP level (and as a generalization, 
>the whole control plane connectivity end-to-end). The doc specifically 
>assumes that such exists for some models, but doesn't describe how and the 
>requirements for such.  This seems like an important point to me.
>
>--