Subject: AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

From: "Haag, T" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:18:32 +0200

Matthew,

Please see inline my comments:

...

Necessary Terminology:

Access Node (AN) - Network device, usually located at a service 

provider central office [Th. Haag] or street cabinet, that terminates DSL connections from 

Subscribers. Often referred to as a Digital Subscriber Line Access 

Multiplexer (DSLAM)

...

The ANCP WG will address the following four use-cases:

1. Dynamic Access Loop [Th.Haag] attributes

Various queuing and scheduling mechanisms are used in access networks 

to avoid congestion while dealing with multiple flows and distinct QoS 

profiles. Communicating the access-loop [Th.Haag] status and attributes and current DSL 

synchronization rate between the AN and Subscriber up to the NAS is 

desirable, particularly when the NAS is providing QoS for individual 

flows and subscribers. ANCP will provide a mechanism to communicate 

dynamic access-loop [Th.Haag] attributes from the AN to the NAS.

...

Non-Goals:

ANCP is an IP-based protocol that operates between the AN and NAS, over 

a DSL access and aggregation network. It will not address [Th.Haag] network management operation of circuits or connections in the access and aggregation network itself [Th.Haag] but will not exclude use case relevant aspects of access and aggregation.  

The focus of this WG is on one very specific application space. While 

the design of the protocol should be general as to not preclude other 

uses in the future should a need arise, it is not a goal of this WG

to address specific requirements outside of DSL access and aggregation 

networks.

...

Keeping in mind the following comments of the minutes I propose the changes regarding Non-goals.

Mark Townsley:

- we should not even precule other use of the protocol in other areas....

Mark Townsley: Scoping of that group is driving to solve existing problem. We should use good engineering to build things to allow future problems but we should not try to solve everything from the start.

Regards

Thomas

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Mai 2006 18:20
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

Folks,

We received a number of comments back from our ADs on the draft charter,

following the last call that we issued a few weeks ago.

Please find attached a new revision of the charter that incorporates these

comments. Please post any comments to the list by this Friday (26th May).

This will be taken to the IESG once once the list has agreed to the

revisions.

best regards,

Matthew

(See attached file: ANCP-charter-220506.txt)

_______________________________________________
L2cp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:40:50 +0100

Thomas,

Thanks for your comments. Please see below.

Matthew

             "Haag, T"                                                     
             <Thomas.Haag@t-sy                                             
             stems.com>                                                 To 
                                       Matthew BOCCI/GB/ALCATEL@ALCATEL    
             23/05/2006 11:18                                           cc 
                                       [email-masked]                       
                                                                   Subject 
                                       AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter       

                                                                           

Matthew,

?
Necessary Terminology:

Access Node (AN) - Network device, usually located at a service
provider central office [Th. Haag] or street cabinet, that terminates DSL
connections from
Subscribers. Often referred to as a Digital Subscriber Line Access
Multiplexer (DSLAM)

?

profiles. Communicating the access-loop [Th.Haag] status and attributes and
current DSL

?

Non-Goals:

ANCP is an IP-based protocol that operates between the AN and NAS, over
a DSL access and aggregation network. It will not address [Th.Haag] network
management operation of circuits or connections in the access and
aggregation network itself [Th.Haag] but will not exclude use case relevant
aspects of access and aggregation.

MB> We should not loose the fact that ANCP is not a signalling protocol for
the establishment of ATM or Ethernet connectivity in the aggregation
network. The current use cases do not require this, so I'm not sure that I
understand your point.

?
Keeping in mind the following comments of the minutes I propose the changes
regarding Non-goals.

      Mark Townsley:
      - we should not even precule other use of the protocol in other
      areas?.

      Mark Townsley: Scoping of that group is driving to solve existing
      problem. We should use good engineering to build things to allow
      future problems but we should not try to solve everything from the
      start.

Regards
Thomas

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Mai 2006 18:20
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

Folks,

best regards,

Matthew