Subject: [L2sm] WG Action: Formed L2VPN Service Model (l2sm)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 10:58:56 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Operations and Management Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

L2VPN Service Model (l2sm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
  Qin Wu <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2sm
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/l2sm/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-l2sm/

The IETF and the industry in general is currently specifying a set of
YANG models for network element and protocol configuration. This is an
essential first step, but the end goal is a full system configuration
that enables service agility to speed service creation and delivery and
allows the deployment of innovative new services across networks.
Services are built from a combination of network element and protocol
configuration, but are specified to service users in more abstract terms.

The Layer Two Virtual Private Network Service Model (L2SM) working group
is a short-lived WG. It is tasked to create a YANG data model that
describes a L2VPN service (a L2VPN customer service model). The model can
be used for communication between customers and network operators, and to
provide input to automated control and configuration applications.

It is recognized that it would be beneficial to have a common base model
that addresses multiple popular L2VPN service types. The working group
will derive a single data model that includes support for the following:
- point-to-point Virtual Private Wire Services (VPWS),
- multipoint Virtual Private LAN services (VPLS) that use LDP-signaled
Pseudowires
- multipoint Virtual Private LAN services (VPLS) that use a Border
Gateway Protocol (BGP) control plane as described in RFC4761 and RFC6624
- Ethernet VPNs specified in RFC 7432.
Other L2VPN service types may be included if there is consensus in the
working group.

It needs to be clearly understood that this L2VPN customer service model
is not an L2VPN configuration model. That is, it does not provide details
for configuring network elements or protocols: that work is expected to
be carried out in other protocol-specific working groups. Instead, the
L2VPN customer service model contains the characteristics of the service
as discussed between the operators and their customers. A separate
process is responsible for mapping this customer service model onto the
protocols and network elements depending on how the network operator
chooses to realise the service.

The deliverable from this working group will provide information that
other working groups can use to evaluate the set of YANG models that they
have already developed or that are under development. This will help them
to identify any missing models or details. Thus, the deliverable can be
viewed as driving requirements for service delivery models so that the
customer service parameters can be mapped into inputs used by the
protocol configuration models.

The working group will learn from the experience of the L3SM working
group and it is expected that the L2SM data model will have similar
structure to the L3SM data model to enable benefits of common code,
provide shared user experience, and leverage discussions that took place
during the L3SM development.

The working group should consider draft-wen-l2sm-l2vpn-service-model as a
starting point.

The working group will coordinate with other working groups responsible
for L2VPN protocol work (most notably with BESS and PALS). It will also
coordinate with other organizations working on related L2VPN data models
(such as the MEF).

Milestones:
  Dec 2016 - Adopt WG draft for data model
  Oct 2017 - Request publication of data model as Standards Track RFC
  Dec 2017 - Close working group