Subject: Re: [L2tpd-devel] L2tp on linux

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:17:36 -0400

Also sprach Boby S
>I have some doubts regarding L2TP installation on linux. I downloaded
>L2TP source(l2tpd-0.61 and 0.62 ) from the net and I have PPP- version
>2.4 code. How  I can integrate L2TP with PPP stack? Since I did not
>find any modification for L2TP on PPP code (version 2.4), do I need to
>modify the PPP code? if so, could you please tell me what I should
>modify. If anybody could suggest me operations including modifications
>in sequential order I would be more grateful.  In short I would like to
>know the installation procedure of L2TP with PPP on linux.

There is no need to do any changes to PPP or pppd.  l2tpd is completely
userspace, which is inefficient, but also means that pppd and the kernel
PPP support just sees at pty with PPP frames arriving and being sent.
PPP and pppd don't need to know anything beyond that.

Just compile l2tpd, and run it.  It'll tell you what files it needs
(probably /etc/l2tp/l2tpd.conf is all), the rest is all run-time
configuration.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456