Subject: Call Serial Number wisdom...

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:07:20 -0400

Hi,

My apologies if this isn't a good list for this, I wasn't sure where
else to send it.

What's the collective wisdom on Call Serial Numbers?  I've got a report
of W2k (sans IPSec) sending a ICRQ with a Call Serial Number of "0".
I did some quick looking and didn't see anything that says that this is
illegal, but the code that I'm working with (l2tpd for Linux from
marko.net...I'm working with Scott Balmos and David Stipp at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/l2tpd) checks for a serial number
that's less than one, and aborts the connection if that's the case.

We haven't given the LNS side of this code much of a workout, so there
are probably quite a few bugs in it, and this certainly could be one.

I can't think of any good reason that a serial number of 0 would be
invalid as I don't see any place where a value of 0 here has any special
significance (unless I've missed something).

I'd appreciate some comments on whether this is legit or not.

Thanks!
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456

---

From: Bill Palter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:09:56 -0700

The serial number was intended to be a debugging aid, there are 
no illegal values, therefore no implemtation should be checking it.

Bill

--
Bill Palter ([email-masked])

---

From: Jeff Mcadams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:59:22 -0400

Also sprach W. Mark Townsley
>0 is valid. 

>The implementation sending this deserves a slap for not at *least*
>implementing a wrapping counter here, but there is no reason that the
>LNS should care about it beyond simple reporting.

Well...this is actually the implementation receiving it.  w2k sending an
ICRQ to l2tpd for Linux.

There are plenty of things that l2tpd needed to be slapped for, and I
can think of a few that w2k needed to be slapped for as well.  I'm doing
my best to eliminate the ones in l2tpd...w2k I can't do squat about.

Anyway...that was kinda my thinking, that 0 is valid...but wanted to
make sure I wasn't missing something.

I appreciate the quick responses.
-- 
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email-masked]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456