Subject: [L2tpext] Application Identifier AVP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:42:01 +0300

as i mentioned in yokohama, i believe there is a need for an Application
Identifier AVP for L2TPv3.  the AI AVP would tell to the receiver of the
L2TP session setup, for which application this session is intended for
and thus also what information and how the possible End Identifier AVP
carries.

if we don't have AI AVP, then each application needs to invent it own
AVPs in order to be able to tell their sessions apart from sessions of
other applications.

for example, there are many different VPN models that require different
actions at the receiver of the L2TP session setup.  without the AI AVP,
each of them would need to invent their own VPN ID AVP, even if its
contents would be exactly the same.  with the AI AVP, the End Identifier
AVP could carry the VPN ID.

comments?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext

---

From: "Mistretta, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:01:53 -0400

Well at least in the PPP case, you can view such behavior as being driven by
the protocol being tunneled by L2TP as opposed to L2TP itself.  Maybe there
is not as clear an analogy for the PWE applications?

If L2TP were to have such an AVP, would the ID itself be undefined (i.e.,
left to implementations to define and use)?

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 1:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [L2tpext] Application Identifier AVP

comments?

-- juha

---

From: "Mistretta, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:36:34 -0400

> may be so in the ppp case, but not, for example, in the vpn case.
[...]
> each RFC that describes an application that uses the AI AVP, would

Perhaps you could explain some more about what applications you are thinking
of?  VPN is a broad term and clearly there are cases where VPNs are
implemented with PPP/L2TP.

Tom