Subject: [L2tpext] comments on pwe3-ethernet

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:03:48 +0200

here are my comments regarding pwe3-ethernet:

- the scope of the draft is unclear.  my opinion is that it should be
  limited to pw termination points and not to include nsp and the ces.
  the latter should be in the scope of ppvpn and pw working
  groups. also, figure 1 is incorrect, since it shows only one ce
  connected to the nsp via phy.  in case of vpls application, there can
  be any number of ces connected to a single nsp.  if you want to keep
  nsp and ces in the scope, at least the figure must be fixed.

- control connection establishment section should tell if control
  connection tie breaker is used or not in this application of l2tp in
  order to limit the options and thus improve changes of
  interoperability.

- pw session establishment section a) does not clearly say that
  the pseudo wire avp is used, but that the actual attribute VALUES are
  TBA.

- the section should say if incoming or outgoing message exchange is
  used.

- section on pw session monitoring refers to "session keepalive
  mechanism of l2tpv3".  i didn't find anything in l2tpv3 base ID about
  session keepalives.  it only mentions control connection keepalives.
  so one of the two IDs should clarify the matter.

- sli keepalives don't seem to apply in case where several ces are
  connected to a single nsp.  this is a result of figure 1 being
  incorrect.  the document should clearly state under which conditions
  sli can be used and what their semantics is or then this should be
  left outside of the scope.

-- juha
_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext