Subject: [L2tpext] RFC 4951 on Fail Over Extensions for Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) "failover"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:09:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4951

        Title:      Fail Over Extensions for Layer 
                    2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) "failover" 
        Author:     V. Jain, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 53659
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4951.txt

Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) is a connection-oriented protocol
that has a shared state between active endpoints.  Some of this shared
state is vital for operation, but may be volatile in nature,
such as packet sequence numbers used on the L2TP Control
Connection.  When failure of one side of a control connection occurs, a
new control connection is created and associated with the old
connection by exchanging information about the old connection.  Such a
mechanism is not intended as a replacement for an active fail over
with some mirrored connection states, but as an aid for those
parameters that are particularly difficult to have immediately
available.  Protocol extensions to L2TP defined in this document are
intended to facilitate state recovery, providing additional resiliency
in an L2TP network, and improving a remote system's layer 2
connectivity.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext