Subject: Re: Draft charter for L2VPN - IPLS & ARP Mediation

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:12:57 -0700

Folks-

 OK, not much additional support on the list, but my overall
 impression based on what we saw here previously and my off-line
 conversations is that we should put these two topics in the charter
 (with the caveat that IP-only interworking will be addressed after
 the basic mechanisms) and shut the door for now.

 Stay tuned, I'll be sending the updated charter tonight.

Alex

---

From: "Cheng-Yin Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:17:56 -0400

Alex,
Similar to emulated LAN service (that you have defined in the L2VPN
charter), I think it would be useful to define the service (the problem
being solved) being specified here instead of stating the solution
(IPLS).

Thanks
Cheng-Yin

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:19:01 -0700

Cheng-Yin,

  This is what I tried to do. From the updated charter:

> 3. IP-only L2 VPNs--L2 service across an IP and an MPLS-enabled
>    IP network, allowing standard IP devices to communicate with each
>    other as if they were connected to a common LAN segment or a point-
>    to-point circuit.
...
> 6. Interworking of IP devices connected to an IP-only L2 VPN using
>    dissimilar attachment circuits. This topic will be explored only
>    after the basic L2VPN services (VPWS, VPLS, and IP L2VPN) are 
>    defined.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/