Subject: L2VPN charter rev 02 (final?)

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:22:14 -0400

Folks

 Links to the updated charter and diff below.

 http://psg.com/~zinin/ietf/ppvpn/l2vpn-02.txt
 http://psg.com/~zinin/ietf/ppvpn/l2vpn-diff-01-02.html

 For those not on-line, the text of the charter inserted.
 I am taking this to the IESG telechat today, and hoping
 this is the final rev.
 
-- 
Alex

Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn)

Chairs: <under discussion>

Area Director(s):
   Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
   Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Area Advisor:
   Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor:
   Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
   Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

   General Discussion: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2vpn
   Archive: https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/l2vpn/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

Alex is the routing advisor.
Russ is the security advisor.

This working group is responsible for defining and specifying a
limited number of solutions for supporting provider-provisioned
layer-2 virtual private networks (L2VPNs).

The WG is responsible for standardization of the following solutions:

1. Virtual Private LAN Service--L2 service that emulates LAN
   across an IP and an MPLS-enabled IP network, allowing standard
   Ethernet devices communicate with each other as if they were
   connected to a common LAN segment.
 
2. Virtual Private Wire Service--L2 service that provides L2
   point-to-point connectivity (e.g. Frame Relay DLCI, ATM VPI/VCI,
   point-to-point Ethernet) across an IP and an MPLS-enabled IP network.

3. IP-only L2 VPNs--L2 service across an IP and an MPLS-enabled
   IP network, allowing standard IP devices to communicate with each
   other as if they were connected to a common LAN segment or a point-
   to-point circuit.

The WG will address intra-AS scenarios only at this point (other
scenarios will be considered for inclusion in the updated charter when 
the current one is completed.)
   
As a general rule, the WG will not create new protocols, but will 
provide functional requirements for extensions of the existing 
protocols that will be discussed in the protocol-specific WGs.
As a specific example, this WG will not define new encapsulation
mechanism, but will use those defined in the PWE3 WG.
L2VPN WG will review proposed protocol extensions for L2VPNs before 
they are recommended to appropriate protocol-specific WGs.

The WG will work on the following items. Adding new work items 
will require rechartering.

1. Discovery of PEs participating in L2 service, and
   topology of required connectivity

2. Signaling of l2vpn related information for the purpose of 
   setup and maintenance of l2vpn circuits. As much as possible
   PWE3 signaling procedures should be used

3. Solution documents (providing the framework for a specific
   solution, should include info on how discovery, signaling,
   and encaps work together, include security, AS as a separate
   document)

4. MIBs
   
5. L2VPN-specific OAM extensions--extensions to existing OAM
   solutions for VPLS, VPWS, and IP-only L2VPNs.

6. Interworking of IP devices connected to an IP-only L2 VPN using
   dissimilar attachment circuits. This topic will be explored only
   after the basic L2VPN services (VPWS, VPLS, and IP L2VPN) are 
   defined.

Where necessary, the WG will coordinate its activities with IEEE 802.1
   
Milestones (optimistic):

JUL 2003  Submit L2 requirements to IESG for publication as Informational RFC
JUL 2003  Submit L2 framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC
JUL 2003  Identify VPLS and VPWS solutions for the WG
AUG 2003  Submit an I-D describing MIB for VPLS
AUG 2003  Submit an I-D describing MIB for VPWS
AUG 2003  Submit an I-D on OAM for VPLS
AUG 2003  Submit an I-D on OAM for VPWS
DEC 2003  Submit VPLS solution documents to IESG
DEC 2003  Submit VPWS solution documents to IESG
JAN 2004  Submit IP-only L2VPN solution documents to IESG
FEB 2004  Submit MIB for VPLS to IESG
FEB 2004  Submit MIB for VPWS to IESG
MAR 2004  Submit OAM for VPLS to IESG
MAR 2004  Submit OAM for VPWS to IESG
APR 2004  Submit OAM for IP L2VPN to IESG

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:24:57 -0400

Cheng-Yin,

> Do you mean security and inter-AS to be documented separately from the
> solution document?

It's up to the WG. The only constrain is that the security part needs
to go to the IESG at the same time as the solutions.

Alex

---

From: "Cheng-Yin Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:35:47 -0400

Alex,

Thanks
Cheng-Yin