Subject: supporting both Ethernet PW and Ethernet VLAN PW on the same VSI on the same PE

From: Tao Gu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:11:50 +0800

Hi folks,

According to section 8 in draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-08.txt,

A VPLS MAY have both Ethernet and Ethernet VLAN PWs.  However, if a  PE 
is not able to support both PWs simultaneously, it SHOULD send a  Label 
Release on the PW messages that it cannot support with a  status code 
"Unknown FEC" as given in [RFC3036].
My understanding is that a VSI on the same PE (say PE1) can support both 
types of PWs, i.e., using a Ethernet PW to connect to PE2 while using a 
Ethernet VLAN PW to connect to PE3. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Tao Gu

-- 
Tao Gu

Centec Networks Inc.
www.centecnetworks.com

[email-masked]
Tel (0512) 62885358 ext 815
Fax (0512) 62885870
Cell 136-4621-3957

---

From: "Marc Lasserre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:03:31 +0100

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tao Gu" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: supporting both Ethernet PW and Ethernet VLAN PW on the same VSI on 
the same PE

> A VPLS MAY have both Ethernet and Ethernet VLAN PWs.  However, if a  PE is 
> not able to support both PWs simultaneously, it SHOULD send a  Label 

Tao,

This is correct as long as peer PEs support the corresponding PW types.

Marc