Subject: Re: Questions/suggestions regarding "draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-04.txt" (Paz Pentelka)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:55:09 +0800

Hi all，
Please see the comments inline below.

Regards,
Ran

[email-masked] 
Sent by: [email-masked]
2011-06-29 03:00
Please respond to
[email-masked]

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
L2vpn Digest, Vol 85, Issue 14

If you have received this digest without all the individual message
attachments you will need to update your digest options in your list
subscription.  To do so, go to 

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2vpn

Click the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' button, log in, and set "Get
MIME or Plain Text Digests?" to MIME.  You can set this option
globally for all the list digests you receive at this point.

Send L2vpn mailing list submissions to
                 [email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
                 https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2vpn
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
                 [email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
                 [email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of L2vpn digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Questions/suggestions regarding
      "draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-04.txt" (Paz Pentelka)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:00:16 +0300
From: "Paz Pentelka" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Questions/suggestions regarding
                 "draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-04.txt"
Message-ID: <44F4E579A764584EA9BDFD07D0CA081306D5FDF9@tlvmail1>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Dear Authors,

Following review of "draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-04.txt
<http://potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt/rfcmark
up?repository=/away/ietf&url=/away/ietf/all-ids/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ld
p-mac-opt-04.txt> " I have a couple of questions/suggestions - 

1 - According to 4.1.2

Note that if a MAC Flush TLV is not understood by a receiver then it 

may result in undesired action. For example if a MAC Flush Parameters 

TLV is received with N=1 and receiver does not understand that TLV 

then it would result in flushing of all MACs learned in the VSI 

except the ones learned over the PW. The MAC Flush TLV SHOULD be 

placed after the existing TLVs in MAC Flush message in [RFC4762
<http://potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt/#ref-RF
C4762> ]. 

I would like to propose a solution to avoid the undesired flushing at
PEs implementing [RFC4762] that are not supporting the new optimization
- if PE-1 (according to the diagram below) can send MAC Flush Parameters
TLV but doesn't send MAC Address TLV, there will not be incorrect
flushing.

[Ran]I think we should carry the MAC address TLV in the MAC Flush 
Paremeters.
Actually draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-04 states:The MAC Flush TLV 
SHOULD be
placed after the existing TLVs in MAC Flush message in [RFC4762].
Maybe we can use a LDP capability mechnism to slove this probrem.

2- In a case where the primary spoke PW is down (according to the
diagram below), there can be a case in which there are many other PWs
connected between the 2 PEs that are down (due to physical link down for
instance). In this case, is there a way to send MAC flush for different
PW's/VPLS's with a single LDP MAC message (for better messaging
scalability)? Such option can be defined using sub-TLVs, for example.
[Ran]  IMO, in this case, it can be achived by carring muti-FEC tlv in the 
MAC flush message.

                                 PE-1                         PE-3 
                               +--------+                  +--------+

                               |        |                  |        | 
                               |   --   |                  |   --   | 
   Customer Site 1             |  /  \  |------------------|  /  \  |->

     CE-1               /------|  \ s/  |                  |  \S /  | 
       \     primary spoke PW  |   --   |           /------|   --   | 
        \             /        +--------+          /       +--------+ 
         \    (MTU-s)/              |    \        /             | 
          +--------+/               |     \      /              | 
          |        |                |      \    /               | 
          |   --   |                |       \  /                | 
          |  /  \  |                |      H-VPLS Full Mesh Core| 
          |  \S /  |                |       / \                 | 
          |   --   |                |      /   \                | 
         /+--------+\               |     /     \               | 
        /     backup spoke PW       |    /       \              | 
       /              \        +--------+         \--------+--------+ 
      CE-2             \       |        |                  |        | 
   Customer Site 2      \------|  --    |                  |  --    | 
                               | /  \   |------------------| /  \   |->

                               | \s /   |                  | \S /   | 
                               |  --    |                  |  --    | 
                               +--------+                  +--------+

                                 PE-2                         PE-4 
 
Thanks in advance,
Paz.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l2vpn/attachments/20110627/82c5abe1/attachment.htm

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
L2vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2vpn

End of L2vpn Digest, Vol 85, Issue 14
*************************************