Subject: The fate of L2VPN

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:29:19 +0100

Hi,

With the formation of the BESS working group and the approval in principle for
the creation of the PALS working group, L2VPN is on its way out.

The IESG today approved the principle of creating PALS and is sending the
charter for external review.

The current version of the charter can be seen at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-pals/ and your comments are
welcome. The best place for those discussions would be
[email-masked].

I am in the process of creating the [email-masked] mailing list. I am
automatically subscribing the members of [email-masked], but not the members of
[email-masked] because it is not clear which of you want to go to BESS and which
to PALS. Please subscribe to the PALS list when it is created if it interests
you.

The draft agenda for IETF-91 shows two slots booked: one for L2VPN and one for
PWE3. It is highly likely that PALS will be formally chartered on the 30th
October IESG telechat. In this event, PALS will meet in the L2VPN slot and the
PWE3 slot will be held in reserve in case there is overflow (highly unlikely on
the current showing).

Once PALS is up and running I will shut down L2VPN and thank (once again) the
current chairs.

Thanks,
Adrian