Subject: Route distribution among VRF's in a single PE

From: "Sakthivadivu.S.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:57:33 +0530

Hi,

   BGP/MPLS VPN draft talks about route distribution among VRF's in a single
PE in section 4.3.6.
   Can you please tell when will this situation occur.?

Thanks,
Sakthi

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************

---

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:09:56 +0100 (BST)

Sakthivadivu,

>   If CE1 learns route 10.10/8, it will be installed in VRF-A. Since export
> policy of VRF-A and
>   import policy of VRF-B are same, 10.10/8 will be installed in VRF-B

Very True.

> also.My doubt is what will be
>   the nexthop for 10.10/8 in VRF-B. How will be the IP packet forwarded from
> CE2 to CE1.
>   Is it through IP or MPLS.If it through MPLS what will be the bottom label
> and top label.

It will be through IP and not MPLS.

>    If it is through IP, what will be the nexthop for 10.10/8.

The next hop will be the same as that of the one which is in VRF A. The interface index
used is the same which is required for reaching this preix. YOu need to configure the FTN
for VRF B to use IP to deliver the packets.

NOTE: Redistribution across the VRFs only happens for the routes learnt locally by a CE
router. We do not redistribute routes learnt from a remote PE peer to other VRFs even if
the RTs overlap.

John

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk