Subject: IETF 65 minutes

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:51:51 -0400

Folks,

Please review these minute from our meeting in Dallas. If I hear no
objections, I will post them on Friday.

                                    Ron

P.S. Thanks to the minute takers.

=====================================================================

Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (Internet Area)

TUESDAY, March 21, 2006
=======================

Chairs:
Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Rick Wilder <[email-masked]>
Ron Bonica  <[email-masked]>

Agenda:

17:40-17:50  Working Group Status - R. Bonica

17:50-18:05  Inter AS option for BGP/MPLS IP VPN - M. Halstead
		draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02

18:05-18:20  Reqs for MPLS Services Over L3VPN - K. Kumaki
		draft-kumaki-l3vpn-e2e-rsvp-te-reqts-00

18:20-18:35  Multicast Requirements - T. Morin
		draft-ietf-l3vpn-ppvpn-mcast-reqts-05

18:50-19:35  Multicast Solutions - E. Rosen, R. Aggarwal
		draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-01
		draft-raggarwa-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-01

19:35-19:50  Multicast Experience - Y. Cai
		draft-ycai-mvpn-experience-00.txt

Alex Zinin asked for a change in the Agenda - try to fit Sam Hartman
in for a security issues overview sometime during the first hour.

One of the presenters will be unable to attend.  Sam can talk during
the slot assigned to that individual.
		
Working Group Status - R. Bonica

Available at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/l3vpn:

Inter AS option for BGP/MPLS IP VPN - M. Halstead
- draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02

See presentation.

Should we adopt this as a working group document.

Ron Bonica asked a question about slide 3 - is there a mapping
function at the ASBR for adapting RT/RD in one AS to RT/RD in
another.

Not a mapping so much as a replacement, the upshot is that there
is no requirement to coordinate between one AS and another.

Ron then asked a question about slide 4 - ???

Something about service providers not wanting to share a view
od their internal VPN with another service provider.

Yakov Rehkter asked a question about slide 3 - ???

Load balancing issues drive use of unique RDs at the ASBR.

Ron Bonica asked for a show of hands for people who read the
draft?

A few.

Ron then asked for a show of hands for operators in the room?

Not many.

Ron asked for hands of those in favor of adopting?

A few.

Ron then asked for hands those against adopting?

None.

Take it to the list...

===============================================================
Mark Townsley talked about work he and Sam Hartman did on l3vpn
security issues.

Sam has gone through all the documents and understands the VPN
technology.  There are issues that are "sticking" the MPLS/GRE
and L2TP(?)

Mark then said that he had completed his update and turned the
meeting back over to the WG.

===============================================================
Multicast Requirements - T. Morin
- draft-ietf-l3vpn-ppvpn-mcast-reqts-05

Mr Morin was not in.  Ron started to show his slides, but
then said they were available.  The draft will be going
to last call as soon as possible after the meeting.

There was a discussion (rat-hole) on RFC 1264 issues and
the fact that this document includes some IPv6 "stuff"
that has not been implemented.

===============================================================
Christian Jaquinet gave a presentation on
draft-halstead-guichard-mavs-requirements-01.txt

See slides.

===============================================================
18:50-19:35  Multicast Solutions - E. Rosen, R. Aggarwal
		draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-01
		draft-raggarwa-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-01

See presentation.  Eric Rosen summarized the current status of
the work on these drafts.  R. Aggarwal continued presentation
on inter-AS MVPN specific details.  Eric Rosen continued with
a few topical discussion points, a mention of things they yet
need to do and a wrap up.

Dave Thaler - what is the impact of dampening the joins and not the
prunes (or vice versa)

Ron Bonica (individual) - raised a concern about the permutations
of the various options and asked if there were some combinations
that don't make sense in any application.  So, would it make some
sense to provide application examples for each combination?

Eric said that this should be in a different document because it
will add more issues to generate disagreement.

Luyuan Fong - asked what the difference is in the multi-homing
case between unicast and multicast?  Also, how will a customer
set the options they us in the multi-AS.

Eric Rosen said that we have so many options now because people
asked for them.

Yakov Rekhter said that not everyone is going to make the same
choices, consequently, there are different options.

Ron said that all this is true, but - at some point we will
have to decide which of the various options/combinations will
get fleshed out.

Yakov said that we could define a "must implement" subset and
still not dictate what different implementations actually do.

Mark Townsley said that would make his job easier.

===============================================================
19:35-19:50  Multicast Experience - Y. Cai
		draft-ycai-mvpn-experience-00.txt

Yiqun Cai gave a presentation on this draft.  See slides.