Subject: Recharter

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:35:13 -0400

Folks,

It's time to recharter the WG. This means:

- Review our past accomplishments
- Reschedule the delivery of MVPN specs
	- Sometime in 07
- Add a few new work items
	- Delivering MPLS Services over an L3VPN
        - others?

This also brings our attention to the VR work. It has been some time
since a new VR spec has been brought to our attention and the existing
VR specs appear to be stalled. Should I assume that the WG has lost
interest in VR solutions?

I would like to propose the following:

- that we drop VR solutions from our charter
- that all VR draft are either completed (i.e., published as
INFORMATIONAL) by 1/1/07 or dropped.

Comments?

                           Ron

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:53:20 +0100

Ron,

> 	- Delivering MPLS Services over an L3VPN

What do you mean by 'Delivering MPLS Services over an L3VPN'.  Is that
Carrier's Carrier or something else?

Thanks
Ben

-- 
Ben Niven-Jenkins
Network Architect, BT Exact
  
E-mail: [email-masked] 
Office: +44 (0)1473 648225
Mobile: +44 (0)7918 077205
   Fax: +44 (0)1332 578827

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:01:58 -0400

Hi Ben,

Draft-kumaki-l3vpn-e2e-rsvp-te-reqts-01 defines the service requirement.
 Draft-bonica-mplsvpn defines a solution that relies on
Carrier-of-Carrier functionality. But other solutions are possible.

                          Ron

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:19:26 +0100

Ron,

> Carrier-of-Carrier functionality. But other solutions are possible.

As far as I can see, Draft-bonica-mplsvpn is basically an applicability 
statement, which is great.

If you were proposing to put protocol changes within scope in the new 
charter, I think that would require wider and more careful discussion of the 
division of labor between the Internet Area and the Routing Area.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:49:03 -0400

Adrian,

I think that you are right. Draft-bonica-mplsvpn will require new stuff
in BGP (enhanced communities or attributes). So, we will need to
co-ordinate with the routing folks.

                              Ron

Adrian Farrel wrote:
> charter, I think that would require wider and more careful discussion of
> the division of labor between the Internet Area and the Routing Area.
> 
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>