Subject: Question related to shared tree instantiation for RSVP-P2MP P-Tunnel as mentioned in draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-07.txt

From: "Rohan Sen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:52:29 +0530

Hi All,

When RSVP-P2MP tunneling is used as P-Tunnel protocol, then how can a shared
C-tree be used or that shared C-tree can be used only when P-Tunnel protocol
instantiates MI-PMSI through PIM or mLDP?
If a shared C-tree is used rooted at C-RP on some PE router for a mVPN, then
do all PE C-PIM instances send C-Register and C-Join/Prune PIM messages
directly to the C-RP via P-Tunnel (P2MP-RSVP tunnel) with destination
address set to the C-RP Address? The draft does not clearly say anything
about sending such C-PIM packets over the provider backbone.

Greatly appreciate any help/hints on these topics.

-- 
thanks,
Rohan Sen

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:49:15 -0800

Hi Rohan,

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Rohan Sen wrote:

> C-tree be used

Please look at section 11 and 13 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-05.txt

> or that shared C-tree can be used only when P-Tunnel protocol

Inter site shared C-trees can be used when the P-tunnel protocol is
RSVP-TE P2MP.

> Greatly appreciate any help/hints on these topics.

C-Register packets are unicast packets and are sent from the C-DR to the
C-RP. For propagation of C-multicast routes when BGP is used for exchanging
C-multicast routing information please look at section 11 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-05.txt.

rahul