Subject: New work items

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:12:10 -0400

I read the following in the L3VPN WG minutes:

Danny McPherson:

    There is work.  There are things that need to be considered. We should
    revisit our milestones now that the MVPN documents have been submitted
    to the IESG, that was a gate for an official new work in the WG, now we
    can consider new work items.

I am glad to see that it is finally time to consider new work items.  I have
been collecting a bunch of new work items for some time in draft-rosen-
l3vpn-mvpn-mspmsi:

- S-PMSI Join extensions (for MPLS and for MVPNv6)

- Wild card support in S-PMSI A-D routes and S-PMSI Joins

- Finish the specification for the use of bidirectional P-tunnels

- Using PIM as PE-PE control plane, but without using MI-PMSI (i.e.,
  eliminating the use of trees that only carry control packets)

- Extranet support using PIM control plane

- Offering MVPN service with PIM control plane in concert with unicast "Hub
  and Spoke" VPN service and anycast-source service.

I think the draft mentioned above is an excellent basis for future work.
That draft could really be turned into a half dozen or so different drafts,
each addressing a particular topic, if the WG prefers that approach.  (I
kept them all in one document primarily to make it easier for me to manage
during the period when the WG was not considering new work items.)

So I would like to propose each of the above-listed items as a new work
item for the WG.

I would also like to solicit feedback about the above-mentioned document,
e.g., is it acceptable as a WG draft, would it be better to split it up and
ask each this question about each part, does anyone have any technical
comments on it?

Feedback from other than the usual suspects would be especially valuable ;-)