Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub-06.txt> (Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 07:16:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l3vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs'
  <draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-06-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   With BGP/MPLS VPNs, providing any-to-any connectivity among sites of
   a given Virtual Private Network would require each Provider Edge
   router that has one or more of these sites connected to it to hold
   all the routes of that Virtual Private Network. The approach
   described in this document allows to reduce the number of Provider
   Edge routers that have to maintain all these routes by requiring only
   a subset of these routers to maintain all these routes.

   Furthermore, when Provider Edge routers use ingress replication to
   carry multicast traffic of VPN customers, the approach described in
   this document may under certain circumstances allow to reduce
   bandwidth inefficiency associated with ingress replication, and to
   redistribute the replication load among Provider Edge routers.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.