Subject: [Lager] WG Action: Formed Label Generation Rules (lager)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:42:32 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Label Generation Rules (lager)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>
  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lager
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/lager/

Charter:

Domain registries, particularly those implementing IDNA (RFC 5890 
et.al), usually maintain a set of criteria (or "ruleset") that governs 
permissible labels allowed for registration, such as [IANAIDNTABLES]. 
These rulesets are commonly a mixture of eligible code points along 
with contextual criteria that must be met concerning the positioning of 
certain code points. Some registries also specify rules regarding 
variant labels and how they are to be handled. Domain registries 
commonly need to share these rules, but there is no interoperable format 
that can be used that can support many common use cases. This group 
seeks to produce such a format, which will enable re-use and sharing of
existing rulesets, and simpler implementation of new rulesets in
registries.

A comprehensive format specification has been developed, named Label
Generation Rules, primarily to support the rules to be used for the 
DNS Root Zone [Davies]. This group will use this specification as a 
starting point to develop a common XML language that provides a superset 
of functionality of current specifications
[RFC 3743, RFC 4290, et.al], along with other known use cases. This 
single format is expected to supersede existing formats, and form the 
basis for future rulesets used at different levels of the DNS hierarchy.

Work items:
- Standard Track Specification of the Label Generation Rules

References:
[Davies] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davies-idntables/
[IANAIDNTABLES] https://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables

Milestones:
  Dec 2015 - Send the Label Generation Rules specification to the IESG

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:55:53 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lager [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
> Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 11:43 AM
> To: IETF-Announce
> Cc: lager WG
> Subject: [Lager] WG Action: Formed Label Generation Rules (lager)
> 

Welcome to this new WG, folks!

Marc and I still need to talk to figure out how what we're each going to be doing. That will hopefully happen soon after he returns from vacation or during the meeting in Prague. In the meantime, one thought I had was that we should quickly identify any open issues with draft-davies-idntables, get them into the issue tracker, and figure out a plan of attack for each issue. Does this seem reasonable?

If we want to finish up by December we're going to need to get organized pretty quickly...

FWIW I do plan on hosting an informal evening get-together in Prague. Count on an infusion of real local lager...

Scott

---

From: Patrick Mevzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:26:01 +0200

Hollenbeck, Scott <[email-masked]> 2015-07-10 20:57
> In the meantime, one thought I had was that we should quickly identify any open issues with draft-davies-idntables, 
> get them into the issue tracker, and figure out a plan of attack for each issue. Does this seem reasonable?

I'm planning to build support for parsing LGR files per Kim's draft,
into my open source toolkit Net::DRI
Obviously due to the amount of work, it will take me some time before
being able to provide useful feedback, but at least it is planned and
I already exchanged few minor points with Kim in private.

I'm interested on discussions with other implementers.

Maybe some past implementers already have some issues to discuss?

-- 
Patrick Mevzek

---

From: Asmus Freytag <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 17:01:57 -0700

On 7/16/2015 3:26 PM, Patrick Mevzek wrote:
> Hollenbeck, Scott<[email-masked]>  2015-07-10 20:57
I have a full implementation that I have been using in the context of 
analyzing existing LGRs and developing LGRs for the Root Zone. As part 
of that I have been machine converting existing IDN tables into the LGR 
XML format.

I'd be happy to discuss any issues.

A./

---

From: "Asmus Freytag (t)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 16:07:42 -0700

A./