Subject: [Lager] Protocol Action: 'Representing Label Generation Rulesets using XML' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lager-specification-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 11:37:44 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Representing Label Generation Rulesets using XML'
  (draft-ietf-lager-specification-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Label Generation Rules Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lager-specification/

Technical Summary
This document describes a method of representing rules for validating
identifier labels and alternate representations of those labels using
Extensible Markup Language (XML).  These policies, known as "Label
Generation Rulesets" (LGRs), are used for the implementation of
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs), for example.  The rulesets are
used to implement and share that aspect of policy defining which
labels and Unicode code points are permitted for registrations, which
alternative code points are considered variants, and what actions may
be performed on labels containing those variants.

Review and Consensus
The document was presented and discussed during at least two IETF
meetings.  It has the support of the WG, and there are at least three
independent implementations of LGR processor with good coverage
of WLE processing; the format described is already used in expressing
Root Zone LGR for various writing systems.

Personnel
The document shepherd is Audric Schiltknecht.
The responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.