Subject: Re: NUL in DNs

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:48:54 -0600

My only concern (and it may be unfounded) would be that some applications or API's currently send a single octet NUL when they really mean to send a zero-length value as a DN. I'd have to do some testing to see if this is the case, and what problems might pop up due to this reqt.

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 07/19/01 04:08PM >>>
The DN syntax allows NUL (U+00000) to occur without any escaping.
Most APIs, and hence most applications, cannot handle this.  I
suspect most servers cannot handle them as well.

I suggest adding NUL to the set of characters which must be
escaped.

Kurt

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:56:16 -0700

At 03:48 PM 7/19/2001, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>My only concern (and it may be unfounded) would be that some applications or API's currently send a single octet NUL when they really mean to send a zero-length value as a DN.

Per RFC 2253, that would be an invalid DN.  If the DN is not empty,
it must contain at least one RDN.  I think we should consider any
implementation which expects that (or even behaves like that) to
be broken.