Subject: protocol: Simple Bind 'name' field

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:34:47 +0200

[Protocol] 4.2 (Bind Operation) says:

   - name: The name of the Directory object that the client wishes to 
     bind as.

I don't think this is true for unauthenticated binds.  (The paragraph
proceeds to list exceptions to the statement, but misses that one:)

     This field may take on a null value (a zero length 
     string) for the purposes of anonymous binds ([AuthMeth] Section 
     5.1) or when using Simple Authentication and Security Layer [SASL] 
     authentication ([AuthMeth] Section 3.3.2).

Sorry to be late; I only realized it while reviewing Authmeth.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:28:46 -0700

At 08:34 AM 9/27/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>I don't think this is true for unauthenticated binds.

Likely should say:
        If not empty, the name of a directory object (see below).

>(The paragraph