Subject: 'unauthenticated' binds

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:32:35 +0200

[Authmeth] says:

> 5.1. Simple Authentication Choice

>     2. an unauthenticated authentication mechanism (section 7), and

I suggested previously that this is renamed to "informative" or
"informational" bind, since the term is often confused with <anonymous
or unauthenticated> binds:

  Message 'Re: Applicability (Was: authmeth review notes [long])',
  11 Jun 2004,
  <http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200406/msg00028.html>.

Anonymous associations can in security terms be said to be
unauthenticated, while "unauthenticated authentication" creates an
anonymous association.

(I also suggested that it would be nice to replace "anonymous"
associations since they are produced my more than "anonymous" binds, but
could not come up with an alternative.)

-- 
Hallvard