Subject: Revising attribute type 'mail'?

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 10:17:15 +0200

HI!

Given that RFC 5336 and RFC 5337 are out now the question arises whether

1. attribute type 'mail' defined in RFC 4524 should be revised to use
LDAP syntax DirectoryString instead of IA5String with a new OID but the
same NAME 'mail'

or

2. a new attribute type should be defined with a different NAME.

Personally I tend to 1.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:49:18 -0700

> Personally I tend to 1.

Attribute type descriptions are suppose to be, other than additional  
names and extensions, immutable.  Changing 'mail' would surely lead to  
interop problems.

I think 2 is best.  This also leaves 'mail' available for the  
alternative address.  And this can all be introduced as Experimental,  
like RFC 5336/7 are.

-- Kurt

---

From: Peter Buonora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:48:40 -0400

+1 on option 2.

Thanks,
Peter