Subject: Re: IETF#73 LDAP BOF Proposal

From: Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:27:57 -0700

I've submitted a BOF proposal to Apps ADs for their consideration.   
Amongst other factors in determining whether to approve this BOF, they  
will need to be convinced that there is sufficient level of  
participation in the BOF and the proposed WG.   It would be helpful  
for those interested to express their interest, either on list or in  
person to Alexey (who has agreed to chair the BOF), and/or myself,  
within the next week or so.

Regards, Kurt

On Aug 29, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
> Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) BOF
>
> Chair(s): TBD
>
> The purpose of this BOF is to discuss the formation of a working  
> group to undertake LDAP standards work.  It is conceived that the  
> proposed WG would undertake both the revision of existing technical  
> specifications for LDAP extensions and the engineering of new LDAP  
> extensions.
>
> There are numerous existing technical specifications for LDAP  
> extensions.  Most of the Standard Track specifications were  
> published prior to the current LDAP "core" specification [RFC 4510]  
> and are in the need of revision.  In some cases, it may be more  
> appropriate to move the extension off the Standards Track.   While  
> the work of determining which RFC should be revised (or moved off to  
> a different track), and prioritization of the work, could be  
> deferred to the WG, it is hoped that the BOF will reach some  
> conclusions as to which revision work is of the highest priority.
>
> There are also numerous extensions to LDAP which seem worthy of  
> standardization. It is hoped that the BOF will reach some conclusion  
> as to short list of new extension work items to be undertaken (at  
> least initially) by the proposed WG.  That short list might include,  
> for instance, in LDAP Transactions and Extensions for X.500 Alignment.
>
> By including both revision and new engineering work items in a  
> single working group it is hoped that the sufficient participation  
> levels will be maintained to make reasonable progress in both  
> revision and new engineering work.
>
>

---

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:12:03 +0200

Hi Kurt,

I am interested in participating to both the BOF and proposed WG.

Ludovic.

On Sep 15, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

> Amongst other factors in determining whether to approve this BOF,  
> they will need to be convinced that there is sufficient level of  
>> the work of determining which RFC should be revised (or moved off  
>> to a different track), and prioritization of the work, could be  
>> standardization. It is hoped that the BOF will reach some  
>> conclusion as to short list of new extension work items to be  
>> undertaken (at least initially) by the proposed WG.  That short  
>> list might include, for instance, in LDAP Transactions and  
>> Extensions for X.500 Alignment.
>>

Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenDS Community Lead               Directory Services
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/         Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Peter Buonora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:35:47 -0400

I would be interested in participating.

Thanks,
Peter

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
>> extensions.  Most of the Standard Track specifications were published 
>> prior to the current LDAP "core" specification [RFC 4510] and are in 
>> the need of revision.  In some cases, it may be more appropriate to 
>> move the extension off the Standards Track.   While the work of 
>> determining which RFC should be revised (or moved off to a different 
>> track), and prioritization of the work, could be deferred to the WG, 
>> it is hoped that the BOF will reach some conclusions as to which 
>> revision work is of the highest priority.
>>
>> By including both revision and new engineering work items in a single 
>> working group it is hoped that the sufficient participation levels 
>> will be maintained to make reasonable progress in both revision and 
>> new engineering work.
>>
>>
>

---

From: Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:03:18 -0700

A number of folks have asked me whether there was a requirement to  
attend any particular IETF meeting to participate in this effort.
The answer is "no".   Those who are willing to participate, via any  
means, are encouraged to express their interest.

Regards, Kurt

---

From: Gavin Henry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:04:07 +0100 (BST)

I'm also very interested in participating.

Thanks.

-- 
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E [email-masked]

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 13 Whiteley Well Place, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 4FP.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:47:15 +0100

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

>Kurt Zeilenga writes:
>>participation in the BOF and the proposed WG.
>>    
>>
>I'd participate in the WG's mailinglist and hopefully some WG meeting,
>but probably not this BOF.
>
>One question about the WG charter: Stick to features with existing
>implementations, or consider significant new invention, or leave
>that choice open?
>  
>
I would think that the choice is open at the moment. If you have some 
suggestions (in either category), now would be a good time to mention them.

---

From: Howard Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:47:10 -0700

I'm interested as well.

-- 
   -- Howard Chu
   CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com
   Director, Highland Sun     http://highlandsun.com/hyc/
   Chief Architect, OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/project/

---

From: "Neil A. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:23:23 -0500

> within the next week or so.

I would like to participate.

Neil Wilson

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:43:10 +0200

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:52:45 +0200

> suggestions (in either category), now would be a good time to mention them.

No, just curious at the moment.  Workflow and results can be rather
different for the two.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:57:44 +1000

I won't be attending the BOF, but I will participate in a working group,
including as editor for some of the working group documents.

Regards,
Steven

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:06:54 +0200

> within the next week or so.

I'd be willing to contribute to the work of the WG but will not attend
the BOF.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Pierangelo Masarati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:08:43 +0200

> I'd be willing to contribute to the work of the WG but will not attend

Same for me.  Cheers, p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
-----------------------------------
Office:  +39 02 23998309
Mobile:  +39 333 4963172
Fax:     +39 0382 476497
Email:   [email-masked]
-----------------------------------

---

From: Andrew Findlay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:05:19 +0100

> I've submitted a BOF proposal to Apps ADs for their consideration.   

I won't be at IETF#73 but count me in for the working group.

Andrew
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|                 From Andrew Findlay, Skills 1st Ltd                 |
| Consultant in large-scale systems, networks, and directory services |
|     http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/                +44 1628 782565     |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------