Subject: Re: C LDAP API

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:05:05 -0400

"Steinitz, Dominic J" wrote:
> 
> Forgive me if I am asking the wrong sort of question for this group.
> 
> What is the status of the the C API?
> 
> I've looked through www.ietf.org and I can find draft-ldapext-ldap-c--api-05.txt
> which is dated 17 November 2000 and expired May 2001. It says it replaces rfc1823.
> 
> Given the draft has expired and I could find no later draft, does this mean
> the draft is unlikely to progress to being an rfc?

Not, I do not believe that is the case.  The C API document is almost
done, but some serious issues were raised during the last working group
last call that have not been fully addressed yet (and as editor I was
discouraged from publishing a new I-D until all of the outstanding
issues had been addressed).  Progress has been unreasonably slow though,
and as document editor I accept most of the blame for that problem.  I
will step up my energy level and provide a schedule for completion of
this document to the LDAPEXT chairs soon.

I believe most working group participants would still like to see the C
LDAP API document published as an RFC, and last time we checked
consensus was to continue on the standards track path.

-- 
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development