Subject: Re: [ldapext] Majordomo results: Japanese girl VS playboy

From: "Ed Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:24:13 -0600

Okay, that was funny.  Poor Majordomo - 

I thought moving LDAPEXT to a moderated list was supposed to help with
this, but it looks like things are no better (at least).

Any ideas what to do next?

Ed

=================
Ed Reed
Reed-Matthews, Inc.
+1 585 624 2402
http://www.Reed-Matthews.COM
Note:  Area code is 585

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

> this, but it looks like things are no better (at least).

I don't believe it is a moderated list, it is merely a different address 
than the widely abused @netscape one.

> Any ideas what to do next?

I think the only way to reduce the spam significantly is to permit posting 
only to subscribers, which implies approving subscribers, and having a way 
to approve any on-topic posts by non-subscribers (per IETF rules).  Ie, a 
human to do this work.  Any volunteers?

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:40:17 -0400

> than the widely abused @netscape one.

Correct. It took the spammers less than a day to find the new address 
and start abusing it.

> human to do this work.  Any volunteers?

I agree and I am willing to help. One problem with making the list 
"members only" is that quite a few people who participate regularly in 
LDAPExt discussions are subscribed via local exploders. They would need 
to resubscribe using their actual addresses or live with the fact that 
their submissions will be delayed by a human moderator. But they would 
have that choice.

-Mark Smith
  Netscape

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:34:54 -0700 (PDT)

> their submissions will be delayed by a human moderator. But they would 

Some mailing list managers support an "OK to post" distinct from the list
to which messages are forwarded.  Dunno if this one does.

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:45:57 -0400

> to which messages are forwarded.  Dunno if this one does.

It does.

-Mark

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:30:38 -0700

At 06:40 AM 2002-05-15, Mark C Smith wrote:
>I agree and I am willing to help. One problem with making the list "members only" is that quite a few people who participate regularly in LDAPExt discussions are subscribed via local exploders. They would need to resubscribe using their actual addresses or live with the fact that their submissions will be delayed by a human moderator. But they would have that choice.

The delay should only be on first post only.  Besides approving
the post, the moderator can add the poster to a special
member-but-do-not-copy list so that subsequent posts from the
poster don't require further moderation.

As a post moderator (of several lists), it's my experience that
it takes less than 5 seconds per disapproved post, 20 seconds per
approved post.  With IETF lists, 99.9% are disapproved as SPAM.
For example, the LDAPbis gets a dozen non-member posts per
day and, generally, all are disapproved.  Since list inception,
I have only had to approve two dozen messages (less than one
per month).

Since the list has been moved to the IETF list server, I suggest
the LDAPext chairs get the secretariat to change the list post
policy to members only, add member-but-do-not-copy support (which
majordomo supports), and arrange for someone to moderate the
non-member posts.

Kurt

---

From: Roland Hedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:08:08 +0200

> majordomo supports), and arrange for someone to moderate the

Sound like a good idea.

-- Roland