Subject: [ldapext] CLDAPv3

From: Thorild Selen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:22:47 +0100

Greetings,

I've noticed that the web page for ldapext working group mentions that
the group will define connectionless LDAPv3; this is however not
mentioned among the Goals and Milestones on the page, nor can I find
anything about it anywhere, so I'm getting curious; is someone working
on this, and in that case, how is it going; and if the project has
been abandoned, why?

It may be that CLDAP hasn't ever been much used, but to me, stressing
the "Lightweight" in "LDAP", it seems quite useful for applications
that just need to do very simple lookups now and then. So, what's
happened to CLDAP?

Thorild Selén
Datorföreningen Update / Update Computer Club, Uppsala, SE
_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "David Boreham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:31:43 -0800

> that just need to do very simple lookups now and then. So, what's

To a first approximation: nobody needed it.

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:24:09 +0100

>To a first approximation: nobody needed it.
Yeah, basically. Me and Roland Hedberg were dumb enough to volounteer to
"just fix" CLDAPv2 and get it done in time for ldapext closedown. By the 
time
we had something written down nobody was interested enough to keep working
on it. There is a reason for this though:

The question is if you really need connectionless ldap. For doing 
lookups now and
then you certainly don't need udp! You _might_ need udp if you are doing 
_lots_
of lookups all the time to lots of directory servers and can't do 
connection pooling.
For instance a proxy/index server (lots of connections) or account 
management
(e.g nss_ldap) for a workstation might benefit but you can certainly 
live without it.

Doing ldap over sctp is another story, that might actually be useful if 
sctp ever
takes off...

          Cheers Leif