Subject: [ldapext] DSA Information Model

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:16:45 -0600

Hi All,

I've ben thinking for a long time that it would be interesting and
useful to bring the notions of the DSA Information Model, DSA
Operational Framework (both X.501), and pretty much all of X.518 to into
LDAP. This doesn't seem like something that can be easily done all at
once (at least not by my definition of easy), so I think an iterative
approach would have the best chance of success.

If we were to tackle this, I think it'd be best to address first those
things that are more useful and easy to implement, while planning for
the more arcane and difficult things in the future. After looking at
things, I'm thinking along these lines:

1) Review RFC3296 and Relevant sections in X.500 series.
2) Define the X.501 DSA Info Model (Knowledge References: Superior,
Immediate Superior, Subordinate, Non-Specific Subordinate, and Cross
References). I don't want to deal with Supplier and Consumer references
right now.
3) Define the X.518 Chained Operation as an extended operation (this
encapsulates the DSA Abstract Service and Distributed Procedures). Also
define some auxiliary controls and extended operations that are similar
but different to the chained operation (things that can be used by DUAs
to understand and help control chaining).
4) Define the X.501 DSA Operational Framework.
5) Define the X.518 Knowledge Administration.

I'm mostly interested in #'s 2, and 3 right now. And I believe they can
be specified before #'s 4 and 5.

So why am I posting this? I guess it's just a preamble to some future
messages and possible I-Ds. I have a few I-D's in the works, but they
aren't yet complete. Plus I want to make sure this seems like a sane and
useful thing to be doing. Let me know if you have any suggestions,
doubts, or whatever.

Jim

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext