Subject: Re: [ldapext] Unfinished business: password policy and VLV

From: Howard Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:44:33 -0700

John McGarvey wrote:
>
> LDAP password policy and VLV (scrolling view browsing) are implemented
> by a number of LDAP servers, more or less in accordance with now expired
> drafts. Both of these extensions are quite valuable, and both now have
> multiple independent implementations, but there are no corresponding
> RFCs. Is there a plan to get these drafts back on track? It seems to me
> that there should be.

While we're on the topic, the VLV draft is missing a feature to release the 
search context. E.g., in PagedResults if the client sends a control with 
PageSize set to 0 then the paging context is abandoned/released and no further 
results are returned.

The VLV spec is written from the perspective of using a persistent dedicated 
DB index to satisfy the requests, so it doesn't take releasing of resources 
into account. But it also doesn't *require* a persistent index for the 
implementation. In the case where a temporary/transient index is used, 
currently the only way to release the resources is by closing the connection, 
which is not very friendly. It seems that the tone of this discussion only 
went toward documenting current practice, but it would be nice to fix the 
flaws along the way.

> John McGarvey
> IBM directory architect
> 919-877-4892 or t/l 254-4892

-- 
   -- Howard Chu
   CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com
   Director, Highland Sun     http://highlandsun.com/hyc/
   Chief Architect, OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/project/