Subject: [lemonade] AIs for Suggested Text for Profile

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:44:36 -0700

Completing two action items from London:

(1) Text for Profile section 2.8 on why CHUNKING is needed:

2.8 CHUNKING Support

Lemonade-compliant servers MUST support the CHUNKING extension 
[reference].  Supporting both CHUNKING and BURL allows clients create 
a new message containing all or part of a previously-received message 
without needing to first compose a new message using CATENATE.

(2) Text for Profile on why sending URLAUTH over unprotected link is 
never worse than sending actual text, and is better if a role 
restriction is used; maybe a new section 8.1 on submission (moving 
current 8.1 to 8.2):

8.1 Confidentiality Protection of Submitted Messages

When clients submit new messages, link protection such as TLS guards 
against an eavesdropper seeing the contents of the submitted message. 
It's worth noting, however, that even if TLS is not used, the 
security risks are no worse if BURL is used to reference the text 
than if the text is submitted directly.  If BURL is not used, an 
eavesdropper gains access to the full text of the message.  If BURL 
is used, the eavesdropper may or may not be able to gain such access, 
depending on the form of BURL used.  For example, some forms restrict 
use of the URL to an entity authorized as a submission server or a 
specific user.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
A server is only as secure as its dumbest administrator
                                         --Steve Dorner

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:52:18 +0100

> Completing two action items from London:

Thanks for the text!

> without needing to first compose a new message using CATENATE.

I've added this to 2.5 instead. There were already some text there 
talking about CHUNKING.

> restriction is used; maybe a new section 8.1 on submission (moving 

Added as 8.1.