Subject: Re: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-burl-03.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:17:36 +0100

Sam Hartman wrote:

>I'm afraid that I'm going to have to insist on text similar to that
>Chris proposes adding to the draft.  I don't think an RFC 3501
>reference is sufficient.
>  
>
Duplicating requirements specified in another requirement is a bad 
thing, as documents can get out of sync.
If a reader asks the question "what is a mandatory to implement 
authentication mechanism when a submit server talks to an IMAP server?", 
there is only one possible answer to this question if normative 
references from BURL are followed.

I would insist that the text must be clarified to point out that the 
mandatory to implement authentication mechanism is taken from RFC 3501 
by saying something like "As defined in RFC 3501 ..."

>I think there are enough additional issues that have surfaced in this
>discussion that it is clear to me that e are going beyond RFC 3501 in
>what we say.  I believe that is necessary and I believe that there is
>no way to do so without duplication of 3501 text.
>  
>
BTW, I am fine with the rest of the Chris' text.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:01:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> mandatory to implement authentication mechanism is taken from RFC 3501 by 
> saying something like "As defined in RFC 3501 ..."

This sounds like an acceptable compromise to me.

Also, any text that exposits upon, or extends, what RFC 3501 says should 
be clearly marked as such.
 	RFC 3501 requires blah blah blah.  Among other things, this
 	means blah blah blah.  Furthermore, this document additionally
 	requires blah blah blah.

To express Alexey's concerns in another way, implementors need to 
understand what text is normative, and what is merely expository.  We have 
bad experiences in the past when this has not been clear, particularly 
when text is duplicated.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.