Subject: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - URLAUTH Extension
	Author(s)	: M. Crispin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2005-10-4
	
This document describes the URLAUTH extension to the Internet
     Message Access Protocol (IMAP) (RFC 3501) and the IMAP URL Scheme
     (IMAPURL) (RFC 2192).  This extension provides a means by which an
     IMAP client can use URLs carrying authorization to access limited
     message data on the IMAP server.

     An IMAP server which supports this extension indicates this with a
     capability name of "URLAUTH".

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

This draft supposedly addresses all the issues raised by the IESG, but as 
it was primarily a solo effort on my part it needs review by the WG.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:37:01 -0700

At 8:40 AM -0700 10/4/05, Mark Crispin wrote:

>  This draft supposedly addresses all the issues raised by the IESG, 
> but as it was primarily a solo effort on my part it needs review by 
> the WG.

I've reviewed the changes and they look good to me.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
There is a life-size picture of a dogcow conveniently located in the
Finder. Look under "Page Setup..."  Now look under "Options."  Like
any talented dog, it can do flips. Like any talented cow, it can do
precision bitmap alignment.                   --Apple Tech Note #31

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:54:10 +0100

> but as it was primarily a solo effort on my part it needs review by 

Nit:

Section 2, first para, missing quote before ;EXPIRES=<datetime>"

Otherwise, all looks fine to me.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - using Infotrope Polymer
http://dave.cridland.net/acap/polymer.html

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:44:09 +0100

Mark Crispin wrote:

> This draft supposedly addresses all the issues raised by the IESG, but 
> as it was primarily a solo effort on my part it needs review by the WG.

I like the changes, but I have few comments:

1).
 >Introduction
 >
 >     In [IMAPURL], a URL of the form imap://[email-masked]/INBOX/;uid=20
 >     requires authorization as userid "fred".  However, [IMAPURL] implies
 >     that it only supports authentication,

Actually, this is not true. IMAP URL uses the term "userid", which is 
synonymous to authorization identity in SASL.
There is no way to specify authentication identity, because IMAP URLs 
are not allowed to contain passwords.

When a client uses LOGIN command, authentication identity is always the 
same as authorization identity.

 > and confuses the concepts authentication and authorization.

 >     The URLAUTH extension defines an authorization mechanism for IMAP
 >     URLs to replace [IMAPURL]'s authentication-only mechanism.

Same as above.

 >  URLAUTH
 >     conveys authorization in the URL name itself, and reuses a portion of

what is "URL name"?

 >     the syntax of the [IMAPURL] authentication mechanism to convey the
 >     authorization identity (which also defines the default namespace in
 >     [IMAP]).

This is still confusing (at least for me). I think what you are trying 
to say that in the following IMAP URL:

 <imap://[email-masked]/INBOX/;uid=20;URLAUTH=user+dave:...>

"dave" is used for authorization and "fred" is used to define mailbox 
scope. If this is correct, then I think the following text is clearer:

    URLAUTH conveys authorization in the URL itself, and redefines a 
portion of
    the syntax of the [IMAPURL] authentication mechanism to convey the
    default mailbox scope [IMAP].

2). draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis-00.txt have renamed some of IMAP URL 
non-terminals to be more aligned with the generic URI syntax. Oh well, 
we don't have to worry about URLAUTH until 
draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis-XX.txt is published as an RFC.

3). ABNF reference must be updated to RFC 4234.

Alexey