Subject: [lemonade] convert URLs

From: Peter Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:57:39 -0700

I'm feeling a bit more confident I understand this CONVERT stuff now that I have
implemented the CONVERT command at least for charset conversions of text/xxx
parts.
 
Moving on the section 9.1 of the document, tucked away after the formal syntax.
 
These URLs are used in a couple of places.  URLFETCH and CATENATE.  In both
places we have to consider what the encoding of the converted parts should be.  
I'd be perfectly happy to assert that if a client is capable of issuing a
URLFETCH with a CONVERT in it, then it is perfectly capable of handling binary
data coming down the pike at it.  
But CATENATE is a different story.  CATENATE is used to construct messages that
may be intended for transmission to another user with a potentially less capable
client.  just marking the bodies as encoding=8bit may not be the answer.  it
could be asserted that the server has the best idea what sort of encoding is
suitable for the converted bodypart, but that doesn't help as the poor client
has to construct the headers to go round it.  SO, it has to be up to the client
to specify the encoding.  So the syntax in section 9.1 has to be extended so it
can specify the encoding.
 
At least that is my reasoning.  And I could be quite wrong.
 
Peter
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade