Subject: [lemonade] imap convert URL syntax

From: Peter Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:21:22 -0700

I *think* that this is a formal description of my proposal for imap urls
requiring conversion.  The intent of this (probably mashed up) ABNF is that the
SECTION section look something like:

/;section=CONVERT.1.1?to-type=text%2fplain&charset=us-ascii&unknown-character-re
placement=%2e

This works because "?" Is not included in bchar.

enc-section      = 1*bchar convert-parameters
            ; %-encoded version of [RFC3501 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501>
] "extended-section-spec" followed by the convert parameters encoded as
necessary
; <bchar> is defined in [IMAPURL
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-11#ref-IMAPURL> ].
convert-parameters = "?" "to-type" "=" 1*uchar *[ "&" 1*uchar "=" 1*uchar ]
            ; %-encoded as necessary, the destination type/subtype followed by
the convert parameters

extended-section-spec = section-spec
                / "CONVERT"
                      ; for the whole message
                / "CONVERT." section-part
                      ; for a body part

I am not convinced by the first form of extended-section-spec.  The CONVERT
command does not allow for the conversion of the whole message.  Why should IMAP
URLs?

Peter

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:33:30 +0100

Peter Coates wrote:

>I am not convinced by the first form of extended-section-spec.
>
Sure it does: BINARY[]

>The CONVERT

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:26:08 +0100

>SECTION section look something like:
I've argued with Peter that IMAP URLs should just %-encode the whole 
CONVERT request. While the syntax is ugly, an IMAP server processing an 
URL containing such request can just remove %-encoding and pass the 
result to the function that parses the conversion specification as used 
in the CONVERT command.

So, unless new arguments in favor of changing the URL syntax are given, 
the document would stay the way it currently is.