Subject: Re: [lemonade] Proposal for addition and deletion of extensions to the Lemonade Profile Bis

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:41:32 -0800 (PST)

> 1). METADATA is currently a dependency for the CONVERT extension.
> There is also a proposal to use METADATA for storing search criteria
> on the server. This is complicated extension for servers to implement.

Well, if there's any chance of avoiding METADATA, I'm for it.  If you're
seriously considering switching to a CONVERT-specific command to get the
server's conversion capabilities, the cleanest I can come up with is:

   CONVERSIONS <source> <target>

where <source> and <target> are partially or completely wildcardable.
For instance, for conversion info from GIF to JPEG (no untagged CONVERT
would be returned if no conversion was possible):

   C: a CONVERSIONS "image/gif" "image/jpeg"
   S: * CONVERT "image/gif" "image/jpeg" ("width" "height" "depth" "interlaced")
   S: a OK CONVERSIONS completed

For conversion info from GIF to anything:

   C: b CONVERSIONS "image/gif" *
   S: * CONVERT "image/gif" "image/jpeg" ("width" "height" "depth" "interlaced")
   S: * CONVERT "image/gif" "image/png" (...)
   S: ...
   S: b OK CONVERSIONS completed

For conversion of anything to JPEG:

   C: c CONVERSIONS * "image/jpeg"
   S: * CONVERT "image/gif" "image/jpeg" ("width" "height" "depth" "interlaced")
   S: * CONVERT "image/png" "image/jpeg" (...)
   S: ...
   S: c OK CONVERSIONS completed

For conversions from all image formats to all text formats (maybe via OCR?):

   C: d CONVERSIONS "image/*" "text/*"
   S: d OK CONVERSIONS completed

> 3). COMPARATOR (currently a dependency of both LIST-EXTENDED and
> METADATA).

COMPARATOR is only a METADATA dependency, right?  METADATA adds sorting
to LIST-EXTENDED, but it's not a standard part of that extension.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:03:37 +0000

Dan Karp wrote:

>COMPARATOR is only a METADATA dependency, right?
>
It is also a weak dependency for the LIST-EXTENDED document, but it is 
not required to implement LIST-EXTENDED.

>METADATA adds sorting to LIST-EXTENDED, but it's not a standard part of that extension.
>  
>

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:23:31 -0500

Hi Dan,

> server's conversion capabilities, the cleanest I can come up with is:

Irrespective of the current METADATA spec, if there is any need to store
meta-data-like information on the server then we should have one way to do
that, rather than having each extension do its own thing.

If there is a need for that, and there is a problem with complexity in the
current METADATA spec, then lets address that. I certainly think revising
the data model (e.g. doing away with .priv and .shared, fixing the
content-type model etc) would one approach, as well as removing the
dependency on LISTEXT (i.e. no searching for metadata values).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:49:44 +0100

Dan Karp writes:
> Well, if there's any chance of avoiding METADATA, I'm for it. If 
> you're seriously considering switching to a CONVERT-specific command 
> to get the server's conversion capabilities, the cleanest I can come 
> up with is:
...

Personally I was thinking about something like "to which formats could 
you convert uid 42, bodypart 4.2?". (Bodypart 4.2 has content-type 
application/octet-stream.)

But myself, I'd always just send off "convert 4.2 to jpg, size 69*105" 
and deal with both success and failure.

Arnt