Subject: [lemonade] Message re-save

From: "Ganguly, Gopa \(Gopa\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:56:38 -0500

Hi,

We are currently trying to come up with an efficient way to resave
voicemail messages that are near or at expiry. The client could FETCH
the message, and then turn around and APPEND it to the mailbox -- but
that would mean an inefficient roundtrip for the audio data in the
message. 

Has anyone in this group looked into this scenario, or has any
suggestions? 

Thanks
Gopa Ganguly

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:47:46 +0100

Hi,

> voicemail messages that are near or at expiry.
>
How message expiration is stored in the message store?
Is it derived from message's INTERNALDATE, stored as a message 
annotation, ...?

> The client could FETCH the message, and then turn around and APPEND it 
> to the mailbox -- but that would mean an inefficient roundtrip for the 
> audio data in the message.
>
If you need to use APPEND, then you can use IMAP CATENATE Extension (RFC 
4469)  together with IMAP URLAUTH Extension (RFC 4467).
But the exact answer to your question depends on your answer about how 
message expiration is stored.

Regards,
Alexey

---

From: "Ganguly, Gopa \(Gopa\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:36:53 -0500

The message expiration is indicated by an "Expired" flag. The system
only sets the flag, and does not automatically delete the message --
giving subscribers a "chance" to resave it. 

Alternately, the INTERNALDATE could also be used by the client. But
there is no message annotation.

Either way, the client knows of the expiry, without downloading the
entire message. The question is, can we resave the message but avoid
methods which will need the message to be downloaded, before it is
resaved.

Your suggestion to use: APPEND <mailbox> CATENATE <IMAP-URL> would work.
Since in this case, the server doing the APPEND is also the server in
the IMAP-URL, we may not need URLAUTH.

Thanks
Gopa

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey Melnikov [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:48 PM
To: Ganguly, Gopa (Gopa)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Message re-save

Hi,

Regards,
Alexey

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:43:33 -0700

It sounds like you are mixing voice message semantics with IMAP
semantics.

Why go through the pain of "resaving".  You are going to put a bunch of
packets on the wire to simply change the Expired flag.  Sounds like you
need to separate the voice mail systems idea of expired and IMAP's idea
of Expired. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ganguly, Gopa (Gopa)
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:37 PM
To: Alexey Melnikov
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Message re-save

Thanks
Gopa

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey Melnikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:48 PM
To: Ganguly, Gopa (Gopa)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Message re-save

Hi,

Regards,
Alexey

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:22:37 +0100

>the IMAP-URL, we may not need URLAUTH.
 From what you've described a much better way is just to clear the 
expiration flag. This would minimize traffic and would be the proper 
IMAP use.