Subject: [lp-wan] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:12:43 +0200

Dear WG,

On the basis of our discussion in the Berlin technical session, we have
updated the fragmentation draft.

This version is based on a more lightweight approach we proposed in
Berlin, which abandons the relationship with 6LoWPAN formats by using its
own 'dispatch'. This, together with using a reduced tag size, allows to
define a 2-byte format (instead of a 3-byte one). The format (including
the 'new dispatch' values) has to be aligned with the work on header
compression (and vice versa). Performance (in Annex A) is now greater, of
course.

Should you have any comments, please let us know!

Cheers,

Carles

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Sun, October 23, 2016 11:26 am
To:      "Jon Crowcroft" <[email-masked]>
         "Carles Gomez" <[email-masked]>
         "Josep Paradells" <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carles Gomez and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header
Revision:	03
Title:		LPWAN Fragmentation Header
Document date:	2016-10-23
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		9
URL:           
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03.txt
Status:        
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header/
Htmlized:      
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03
Diff:          
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gomez-lpwan-fragmentation-header-03

Abstract:
   LPWAN technologies are characterized by a very limited data unit and/
   or payload size, often one order of magnitude below the one in IEEE
   802.15.4.  However, many such technologies do not support layer 2
   fragmentation.  The 6LoWPAN fragmentation header defined in RFC 4944
   represents very high overhead for LPWAN technologies, and it even
   does not support transporting IPv6 datagrams that require
   fragmentation over layer 2 technologies of a maximum payload size
   below 13 bytes.  This specification defines an optimized
   fragmentation header for LPWAN.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat