Subject: Re: [Lsr] IGP TE Metric Extensions

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 23:07:03 -0700

Muthu,

LSR would be a more suitable list to post to, CCed.

Regards,
Jeff

> On May 30, 2018, at 18:06, Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Muthu

---

From: Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 21:44:54 +0530

Thanks, Jeff. Would be good to have this clarified
in draft-ginsberg-isis-rfc7810bis. My original message seems to have been
stripped off, so including it again for the lsr list..

​Both RFC 7810 and RFC 7471 say that:

   The measurement interval, any filter coefficients, and any
   advertisement intervals MUST be configurable per sub-TLV.

   Additionally, the default measurement interval for all sub-TLVs
   SHOULD be 30 seconds.

However, both RFCs initially say that they only describe mechanisms for
disseminating performance information and methods of measurements is
outside their scope.

Moreover, for a first time reader, it seems to suggest that the measurement
interval and filter coefficient must be supported and configurable under
the IGP. In a system supporting multiple IGPs, I would expect that they be
implemented outside the IGP and the IGPs just disseminate the information
provided to them.

Thoughts, especially from an implementation standpoint?

Regards.
Muthu

---

From: "Stefano Previdi (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 23:04:05 +0200

On Thu, May 31, 2018, 6:15 PM Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Moreover, for a first time reader, it seems to suggest that the
> measurement interval and filter coefficient must be supported and
> configurable under the IGP.
>

No. This is not suggested in any form.
It is clearly indicated that the draft does not deal with measurements
which means no recommendation is made.

In a system supporting multiple IGPs, I would expect that they be
> Thoughts, especially from an implementation standpoint?

Again, the draft is only about dissemination, not measurements. If your
question is related to configuration and implementation of measurements,
well it will not be addressed by this draft.

We intentionally left out this part that does not belong to the igp
protocol machinery.

s.

> _______________________________________________
> Lsr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lsr
>