Subject: [Lsr] Regarding draft-liu-lsr-p2poverlan

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:00:36 -0400

In earlier emails, we brought 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-lsr-p2poverlan-02 to the 
attention of the working group.

This draft was written to provide an explanation of how the 303 ifType 
code point that was assigned at Ericsson's request could be used.  It 
builds on RFC 5309 as that example.  While that is not the only possible 
use for the ifType, it is the obvious one, which is why we brough this 
draft to the attention of the LSR working group.

Note that the code point was not assigned by RFC 5309.  The pointer in 
the IANA entry to 5309 was a simpler (probably too simple) of the 
explanation of "This code point can be used with that thing."  Which is 
why this draft also updates the IANA entry (assuming the draft becomes 
an Informational RFC) to point to the draft.

There were some useful comments about the document on thge list.  We 
have updated the document to address those.

There were also concerns expressed by two participants that the document 
is useless.  Obviously, we would not have written it if we thought it 
was useless :-)

Given that LSR is the most obvious consumer of the ifType code point 
(but not the owner of the registry), we were looking to work with the 
LSR working group to improve and advance this document.

If LSR considers this useless or uninteresting, then we will seek other 
ways of publicly documenting how the ifType code point can be used.

Yours,
Joel