Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey Long-term Evidence Records' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey 
   Long-term Evidence Records '
   <draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt

Technical Summary

   The Simple Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) defines an
   extensible means of delegating the development and validation of
   certification paths to a server.  It can be used to support the
   development and validation of certification paths well after the
   expiration of the certificates in the path by specifying a time of
   interest in the past.  The Evidence Record Syntax (ERS) defines
   structures, called evidence records, to support non-repudiation of
   existence of data.  Evidence records can be used to preserve
   materials that comprise a certification path such that trust in the
   certificates can be established after the expiration of the
   certificates in the path and after the cryptographic algorithms used
   to sign the certificates in the path are no longer secure.  This
   document describes an application of SCVP to serve this purpose using
   the WantBack feature of SCVP to convey evidence records.

Working Group Summary

   This document is a product of the LTANS working group.  This document
   reflects the rough consensus of the working and passed through the
   working group without notable controversies.

Document Quality

   One implementation of the protocol is known.  An open source
   initiative to implement LTANS specifications appears to have
   stalled.  No other implementation plans have been announced.

Personnel

   Tobias Gondrom is the document shepherd for this document.  Tim Polk
   reviewed this for the IESG.