Subject: Re: Use of "Legal Terms of Art" in Technical Standards.

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:43:10 -0800

Sorry Peter I never saw this response from you, I will do just that.

Todd
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Sylvester" <[email-masked]>
To: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: Use of "Legal Terms of Art" in Technical Standards.

>
> My taker is that this means that our technical standards need to meet the 
> "rules of evidence" and not our own images of what we want those to be... 
> To that end I propose for LTANS that it only rely on 'established legal 
> terminology' for its operations.

Feel free to point to text portions where this is not the case and
propose appropriate changes.

-- 
To verify the signature, see http://edelpki.edelweb.fr/
Cela vous permet de charger le certificat de l'autorité;
die Liste mit zurückgerufenen Zertifikaten finden Sie da auch.

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter Sylvester" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Use of "Legal Terms of Art" in Technical Standards.
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:43:10 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]

Sorry Peter I never saw this response from you, I will do just that.

Todd
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Sylvester" <[email-masked]>
To: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: Use of "Legal Terms of Art" in Technical Standards.

>
> My taker is that this means that our technical standards need to meet the 
> "rules of evidence" and not our own images of what we want those to be... 
> To that end I propose for LTANS that it only rely on 'established legal 
> terminology' for its operations.

Feel free to point to text portions where this is not the case and
propose appropriate changes.

-- 
To verify the signature, see http://edelpki.edelweb.fr/
Cela vous permet de charger le certificat de l'autorité;
die Liste mit zurückgerufenen Zertifikaten finden Sie da auch.

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>, RFC Editor <[email-masked]>, ltans mailing list <[email-masked]>, ltans chair <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Server-based Certificate  Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey Long-term Evidence Records'  to Proposed Standard 
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: [email-masked]

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey 
   Long-term Evidence Records '
   <draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt

Technical Summary

   The Simple Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) defines an
   extensible means of delegating the development and validation of
   certification paths to a server.  It can be used to support the
   development and validation of certification paths well after the
   expiration of the certificates in the path by specifying a time of
   interest in the past.  The Evidence Record Syntax (ERS) defines
   structures, called evidence records, to support non-repudiation of
   existence of data.  Evidence records can be used to preserve
   materials that comprise a certification path such that trust in the
   certificates can be established after the expiration of the
   certificates in the path and after the cryptographic algorithms used
   to sign the certificates in the path are no longer secure.  This
   document describes an application of SCVP to serve this purpose using
   the WantBack feature of SCVP to convey evidence records.

Working Group Summary

   This document is a product of the LTANS working group.  This document
   reflects the rough consensus of the working and passed through the
   working group without notable controversies.

Document Quality

   One implementation of the protocol is known.  An open source
   initiative to implement LTANS specifications appears to have
   stalled.  No other implementation plans have been announced.

Personnel

   Tobias Gondrom is the document shepherd for this document.  Tim Polk
   reviewed this for the IESG.

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt 
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 05:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Using Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey Long-term Evidence Records
	Author(s)       : C. Wallace
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-06-20

The Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) defines an
extensible means of delegating the development and validation of
certification paths to a server.  It can be used to support the
development and validation of certification paths well after the
expiration of the certificates in the path by specifying a time of
interest in the past.  The Evidence Record Syntax (ERS) defines
structures, called evidence records, to support non-repudiation of
existence of data.  Evidence records can be used to preserve
materials that comprise a certification path such that trust in the
certificates can be established after the expiration of the
certificates in the path and after the cryptographic algorithms used
to sign the certificates in the path are no longer secure.  This
document describes usage of the SCVP WantBack feature to convey
evidence records, enabling SCVP responders to provide preservation
evidence for certificates and certificate revocation lists (CRLs).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>

--NextPart--

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-02.txt 
Date: Fri,  6 Jun 2008 10:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Extensible Markup Language Evidence Record Syntax
	Author(s)	: A. Blazic, J. Blazic, T. Gondrom
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-02.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 2007-5-27
	
In many scenarios, users must be able to demonstrate the (time) 
   existence, integrity and validity of data including signed data for 
   long or undetermined period of time. This document specifies XML 
   syntax and processing rules for creating evidence for long-term non-
   repudiation of existence of data. ERS-XML incorporates alternative 
   syntax and processing rules to ASN.1 ERS syntax by using XML 
   language. 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-02.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--NextPart--