Subject: [Ltru] FW: Appeal RFC 3934 Morfin suspension

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:14:18 -0500

My review of JFC Morfin's recent posting rights appeal, and my decision
regarding that appeal, is included below.  I am sending this message to the
LTRU working group mailing list to document my findings and my decision for
the public record.

Scott Hollenbeck
LTRU Area Advisor

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Hollenbeck [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 2:11 PM
To: 'r&d afrac'
Cc: 'Randy Presuhn'; 'Martin Duerst'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Appeal RFC 3934 Morfin suspension

On 8 November 2005 Randy Presuhn, co-chair of the LTRU working group,
announced that the posting rights of Mr. JFC Morfin were being suspended
"for a period of 30 days, under the terms of RFC 3934 section 2" [1].  Mr.
Morfin appealed this decision in a private mail note sent on 11 November
2005 to me, Randy Presuhn, and LTRU co-chair Martin Duerst.  I have reviewed
both the mailing list activities that led to the suspension decision and Mr.
Morfin's appeal.  I have prepared a statement of my findings in this mail
note, followed by my decision.

Mr. Presuhn sent a note to the LTRU mailing list on 13 October 2005 [2]
describing the topics that remain valid for working group discussion.  Mr.
Morfin received a public warning [3] for off-topic posting on 15 October.
He received an additional private warning for an attempt to continue
discussion of a closed issue on 26 October.

I must note that Mr. Morfin has also appealed this private warning to me.
His appeal request included allegations of chair inaction to track on-topic
discussion of issues allegedly identified by Mr. Morfin.  He did not provide
any citations to document his contributions, so I put processing of this
appeal aside until Mr. Morfin could provide references to mailing list
discussion to confirm his allegations.  He has not done so to date, so this
appeal has not been processed.  However, I do find that the note sent by Mr.
Morfin [4] that prompted the warning does appear to be an attempt to
continue discussion of a topic that has been declared "closed" by a working
group chair.

On 7 November, Mr. Presuhn sent a note to the LTRU mailing list [5] that
includes a request to close a thread that "is not contibuting to forward
progress".  Mr. Morfin continued to post messages [6] continuing this thread
from 7 through 9 November.  Since others were also continuing the
discussion, I reinforced Mr. Presuhn's message in a note sent to the working
group [7] on 9 November.  Mr. Morfin's suspension was announced later on 9
November.

I believe that Mr. Morfin has received multiple, proper warnings for
off-topic posting to the LTRU working group mailing list.  He posted
multiple off-topic messages after receipt of these warnings.  As a result,
Mr. Morfin's appeal to the responsible Area Director is denied.  The working
group chair decision to suspend his posting rights is upheld.

I will forward this message to the LTRU mailing list to create a public
record of my decision.

Scott Hollenbeck
LTRU Area Advisor

[1]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04032.html

[2]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03904.html

[3]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03941.html

[4]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03977.html

[5]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04000.html

[6]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04004.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04019.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04028.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04029.html

[7]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04030.html

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru