Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: New ISO 639 language identifier approved: Swiss German;Alemanic

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:23:28 +0000

Ouch.  Good catch.  What will happen to the matching 
of "de" or "de-CH" against "gsw"?

Misha

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Erik van der Poel
Sent: 07 November 2005 18:21
To: Doug Ewell
Cc: LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: New ISO 639 language identifier approved: Swiss
German;Alemanic

I'm wondering whether it might be better to delay the addition of "gsw" 
until after the 2 IDs currently at the IESG stage get published as RFCs.

It just seems like "gsw" has a number of issues hanging off of it, and 
that any "rushed" addition might miss something or cause an error. I may

be overreacting -- if so, please let me know, I'm new here.

Now for the issues themselves. There are already a couple of "redundant"

tags for Swiss German: de-CH-1901 and de-CH-1996. However, if we add 
"gsw" and it becomes the preferred subtag for Swiss German, then those 
de-CH tags are no longer "redundant" in the normal sense of that word. 
Should we then add a Preferred-Value (or a See-Also) to those 
"redundant" entries? Rules 8 and 10 in Section 3.4 of the registry ID 
appear to talk specifically about language subtags, but I didn't 
immediately notice any discussion of language-COUNTRY combos like de-CH.

I'm probably missing something -- let me know.

If it is true that Switzerland's orthography years were the same as 
Germany's (1901 and 1996), then should the entry for the "variant" with 
the subtag "1901" also have the prefix "gsw" (and likewise for 1996)?

If German has a Suppress-Script of Latn, shouldn't "gsw" also have that?

On the other hand, if this "gsw" case raises a number of issues in the 
IDs, we may want to delay them to fix them (for new rules that would 
cover this sort of case). Not that I want to be the person blamed for 
the delay of these RFCs!

Erik

To find out more about Reuters visit www.about.reuters.com

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru