Subject: RE: [Ltru] Matching: choice of schemes

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:02:14 -0800

--On 16. november 2005 11:49 -0800 Addison Phillips 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have provided suggested text in draft-06 that does what you want with
> regard to describing the choices. Here it is:

I've got issues with almost every single paragraph in the text you propose. 
But I think the -06 reorganization has exposed these issues much more 
clearly than the previous versions - which is very good. I'll comment on 
-06 after publication.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:24:59 +0100

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> I'll comment on -06 after publication.

Something with the "distance metric" is odd.  It was 8-4-2-1.
That was the minimal metric having precisely the same effect
as LTR (letf-to-right).

Now it's 256-128-32-4-1.  Beats me where that could be 
different from 16-8-4-2-1, which would be again the same as
LTR, only over 5 positions.

For some interesting effect - plus a still missing example to
explain it - we need w1-w2-w3-w4-w5 with a pair w(i)-w(i+1)
where w(i) < 2*w(i+1).  With 2*w(i+1) <= w(i) everywhere it's
always the same as LTR matching, or do I miss something ?

                       Bye, Frank

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:08:37 +0100

> different from 16-8-4-2-1, which would be again the same
> as LTR, only over 5 positions.

Delete that:  It's different if three matching extensions
trump one unmatched variant.  OTOH there are no extensions
at the moment, so that's rather academic, isn't it ?

How about 32-16-8-TBD-1 ?  Then TBD=3 would be "4 extensions
can trump a variant" or "3 variants can trump the region",
or a mixture like "3*1 + 2*3 > 8" to trump the region (= 8).

Still odd as long as there no extensions at all, and so far
there are also no "double-variants", let alone more than two
variants.
                          Bye, Frank