Subject: RE: [Ltru] RE: [newsml-2] japanese scripts (was: person/name given and family elements)

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:49:41 +0000

Hi John,

> The trouble with that is that full-script Japanese is not simply 
> Han script, but Han+katakana+hiragana+Latin.  In the pre-release 
> version of ISO 15924's registry, there was a code "Japn" for this 
> combination.  I think it's time to press the ISO 15924/MA to 
> reactivate this code.

How do we go about this?

Thanks,
Misha

To find out more about Reuters visit www.about.reuters.com

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:20:55 -0500

> How do we go about this?

I have submitted in your name (and with your email address) the
appropriate form.  Here's what it says in the "Additional information"
section:

This is the standard writing system of 120 million literate
Japanese-speakers, and has official status in Japan.

The code "Jpan" was available in prerelease versions of the registry to
represent the combination of Hani+Kata+Hira(+Latn) actually used to write
modern Japanese.  It will be essential in certain uses of RFC 3066bis
language tags to clearly distinguish conventionally written Japanese
(jp-Jpan) from hiragana-only (jp-Hira) and katakana-only (jp-Kata)
orthographies.  The tag jp-Hani would be unsuitable, as it represents
the writing system of archaic Japanese written in Han script only before
the development of the kana syllabaries.

-- 
One art / There is                      John Cowan <[email-masked]>
No less / No more                       http://www.ap.org
All things / To do                      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
With sparks / Galore                     -- Douglas Hofstadter