Subject: [Ltru] Matching scripts and variants

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:19:59 +0100

Hi, after I finally understod that the stars are more or less
irrelevant there are apparently only three interesting cases:

Script, variant(s), and extension(s).  The latter is beyond me,
and I won't even try to guess how it's supposed to work.

The region is trivial, either it's specified and has to match,
or it's not specified and matches any region / no region.

The language has to match, it can't be "unspecified", for that
we have a leading or lone "*" matching any language.

The extlang is also simple:

*-oops is allowed, that should match any language including any
extlang with script oops.  *-EXA is bogus, no proposed syntax
allows this.  qx-EXA matches also qx-EXA-EXB or qx-EXA-EXY-EXZ.

---
A specified Suppress-Script is interesting:

*-US should be any language in region US with any script. no
problem.  That leaves en-US, en-Latn-US, en-oops-US.

For en-oops-US the oops isn't the Suppress-Script for en, so
that matches "any en-language" (en + en-EXA etc.), region US,
script oops, as expected.

Dito en-US, any script, any extlang, language en, region us.
The idea of "any en-extlangs" is probably nonsense.  Last case:

en-Latn-US.  Clearly that doesn't match en-oops-US.  But IMHO
it should match en-US, because Latn is the en Suppress-Script.
If that's the case it's an exception from the general rules
of matching.

---
Finally the variants, that's special because there can be zero
or more, especially two or more.

Let's say en-PN has 3 variants variant1, variant2, variant3.
en-PN matches en-PN-variant1, en-PN-variant2-variant3, etc.

What about en-PN-variant2 ?  Clearly it doesn't match any tag
_without_ variant2 like en-PN or en-PN-variant2.  But does
it match en-PN-variant2-variant3 ?  I'd guess that it does,
another exception from a straight forward matching rule.

Not exactly the same case as for extlang, variants can be
independent of each other (e.g. "northern" and/or "modern").

                           Bye, Frank

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:42:58 +0100

Good shot.
Could we try to review this and make it an explanation appendix? Or a 
commentary Draft. I suppose it would help many developers and further 
extensions of the document(s).
jfc

At 07:19 10/02/2006, Frank Ellermann wrote