Subject: [Ltru] Scoring and extlangs

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:31:15 -0500

Currently, scoring treats an extlang subtag as part of the language
subtag, so "zh-cmn" and "zh" are as different as "en" and "fr".
This is almost certainly the Wrong Thing.  The simplest way to solve
this problem, since there are at most three extlang subtags, is simply
to expand the quintuples to octuples, and treat a missing extlang tag as
"*".  The scoring table would need to be altered to have several powers
of 2 between language and script subtags.

(Editorial note: the components of quintuples/octuples are subtags,
and should by the conventions of -registry be put in single quotes.)

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  www.ap.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan
The present impossibility of giving a scientific explanation is no proof
that there is no scientific explanation. The unexplained is not to be
identified with the unexplainable, and the strange and extraordinary
nature of a fact is not a justification for attributing it to powers
above nature.  --The Catholic Encyclopedia, s.v. "telepathy" (1913)

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru