Subject: RE: [Ltru] RE: [newsml-2] japanese scripts

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:06:07 -0800

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:ietf-languages-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Luc Pardon

>     I suppose the advice would be the same: just go ahead and use it
to
> your hearts desire. Which, in my book, translates to: just ignore IETF
> standards and do as you please.
> 
>     Which leaves me wondering why I bothered. It has been a waste of
> time. Silly me.
> 
>     Extrapolating, I wonder why anyone would bother to submit anything
> for registration at all, if the outcome is "just go ahead and use it"
> anyway.

Nobody has said "use whatever you want". The relevant point is that the
tag you requested and that Misha was asking about do not require
registration under the new specification. We're simply in a temporary,
administrative limbo: the new spec is approved, the new registry is
functioning, but the spec hasn't yet been assigned an RFC. Tags like
"el-Latn" are completely valid wrt the approved spec; the only problem
is that, since the spec doesn't yet have a reference ID, it can't be
referenced in consuming specs such as XML and the old spec can't yet
point to what has superseded it.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru