Subject: [Ltru] Re: Matching Text

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:48:17 -0700

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> The extlang mechanism is only for backwards compatibility in the first 
> place,

I thought John Cowan had said repeatedly -- including at the beginning 
of the first teleconference -- that this was not true, that 
language-extlang was also intended as a shim between the ISO 639-2 and 
639-3 worlds, neither of which is "wrong."  Not all tagging scenarios 
call for maximum specificity; sometimes it really is just "Chinese" and 
not "Mandarin or Cantonese or Wu or Hakka or Gan or Min-Nan or...."

--
Doug Ewell * Fullerton, California, USA * RFC 4645 * UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru