Subject: [Ltru] Re: Last Call:draft-klensin-unicode-escapes

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:32:58 -0700

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> So far ltru2xml.awk 0.7 won't survive its first
> encounter with an unencoded "&" in a registry,
> I hope your converters are already smarter.

Fortunately, there are no unencoded "&" characters in either the current 
Registry or the one embedded in draft-4645bis, so this is moot.

Perhaps we could specify in RFC 4646bis that standalone "&" must not be 
added to the Registry.  If any description from an ISO standard uses 
standalone "&", we could specify that it must be changed to the word 
"and".  This might provide a modicum of backward compatibility. 
However, in general, some tools will need to be updated.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
NEW E-MAIL -->  dewell at roadrunner dot com
NEW URL -->  http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:15:00 +0200

> Registry or the one embedded in draft-4645bis, so this is moot.

I know, otherwise <http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/ltru/4645bisU.xml> would
have FAILed in the validation:  I fixed the encoding="UTF-8" manually
for this test, of course ltru2xml.awk 0.7 doesn't claim to support UTF-8.

> Perhaps we could specify in RFC 4646bis that standalone "&" must
> not be added to the Registry.

Authors of XML converters are supposed to get this right.   We should
however get rid of hex. NCRs if "we" (TINW) adopt UTF-8 in 4646bis.

> NEW URL -->  http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell

Tnx for info, bookmark updated.  It could be added to the right column
"for standard authors" on <http://www.langtag.net>. 

 Frank