Subject: [Ltru] Re: Extended language tags (long reply)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:14:30 -0700

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

> The question is: do we want to do this for all time? Or can we help 
> people migrate and just get started on the migration? Yes, retagging 
> with "yue-HK" is a PITA, but so is retagging with "zh-yue-HK".

But retagging from "zh-HK" to "zh-yue-HK" isn't strictly necessary. 
It's a matter of providing additional information: "This is not just any 
old Chinese, this is specifically Cantonese."

If the new tag is "yue-HK", then it becomes more necessary to retag the 
data, because no matching algorithm can match "yue-HK" with "zh" unless 
it has access to (a copy of) the Registry.

--
Doug Ewell * Fullerton, California, USA * RFC 4645 * UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru