Subject: [Ltru] Re: draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-09.txt

From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:23:31 +0100 (MET)

Re: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-09.txt

Greetings,

Allow me to comment the LTRU draft (I am not on your list), and provide
a diff with proposed corrections.

I read the above draft, and found it very confusing with regards to ISO 3166.

The draft uses the term "ISO 3166" indifferently to design (1) Maintenance 
Agency, (2) all ISO 3166 standards, and (3) the specific ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 
list. Furthermore the draft points to the ISO 3166-1:1997 edition in 
9.1 "Normative References", instead of its successor ISO 3166-1:2006 - which 
makes its own example for Serbia out of context (the "RS" code was added in 
2006 edition). 

Quoting ISO 3166-1:2006 document:
    This second edition of ISO 3166-1 cancels and replaces ISO 3166-1:1997, 
    of which it constitutes a complete revision. The International Standard 
    was previously published in 1974, 1981, 1988 and 1993 as ISO 3166. 
    In 1997, it was split into three parts.

Eventually I would stress out that a compilation of language subtags 
MUST provide information on date of its ISO's sources, at least as far as 
ISO 3166-1 table is concerned. 

There is a number of very different reasons for which "exceptionally reserved" 
exist, it is not good to consider them equal with regards to the subtag list,
cf. http://www.iso.org/iso/iso-3166-1_decoding_table 
It's much better IMHO to state clear subtag exceptions (EU, UK).

Finally the IETF draft makes a provision to synchronise the ISO-3166 tables 
with UN M.49 ones, assuming or suggesting that those two organisations does 
not check together. The fact is that the ISO 3166-1 table is made, among other, 
with alpha-2, alpha-3 and M.49 codes. 

Specifically:
Re 2.2.4: 
   2 and 3: "ISO 3166 maintenance agency or governing standardization bodies" 
   - what is "governing standardization body?"
   3.C: "ambiguous ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes" 
   - what does it mean "ambiguous" in ISO 3166 context? 
   4. Note in parenthesis is twice undefined: "the time of this document was 
   created" and the edition of ISO 3166-1.
Re 3.4.17: 
   Does it describe how the-code-is-the-law will diverge from the UN and 
   the sovereign nations if the world decide any change?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth Porteneuve

305c305
<    region        = 2ALPHA                 ; ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code
---
>    region        = 2ALPHA                 ; ISO 3166 code
706c706
<        "exceptionally reserved" (as opposed to "assigned") in [ISO3166-1]
---
>        "exceptionally reserved" (as opposed to "assigned") in ISO 3166-1
722c722
<            ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code and represent supra-national areas,
---
>            ISO 3166 alpha-2 code and represent supra-national areas,
739c739
<            3166-1 alpha-2 codes, when entered into the registry, MUST be
---
>            3166 alpha-2 codes, when entered into the registry, MUST be
745c745
<            associated ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code in the registry MUST NOT be
---
>            associated ISO 3166 alpha-2 code in the registry MUST NOT be
747c747
<            language tags.  Note that the ISO 3166-1 based subtag in the
---
>            language tags.  Note that the ISO 3166-based subtag in the
751c751
<        E.  UN numeric codes and ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes for countries or
---
>        E.  UN numeric codes and ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes for countries or
758c758
<            have an associated ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code MUST NOT be entered
---
>            have an associated ISO 3166 alpha-2 code MUST NOT be entered
765c765
<        these values matched the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes.)
---
>        these values matched the ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes.)
773c773
<        correspond to codes reserved by ISO 3166/MA in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 list for private use.  These
---
>        correspond to codes reserved by ISO 3166 for private use.  These
1298c1298
<    numeric region subtags defined by ISO 3166/MA in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 list) MUST use uppercase.
---
>    numeric region subtags defined by ISO 3166) MUST use uppercase.
1354c1354
<    ISO 15924, ISO 3166-1, or UN M.49 codes are intended only to indicate
---
>    ISO 15924, ISO 3166, or UN M.49 codes are intended only to indicate
1368c1368
<    ISO 3166/MA, withdrawing a code.  In some historical cases, it might not
---
>    ISO 3166, withdrawing a code.  In some historical cases, it might not
1387c1387
<    2.  ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 region codes that have been withdrawn in favor of a new
---
>    2.  ISO 3166 region codes that have been withdrawn in favor of a new
1578c1578
<    withdrawn by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166/MA, and UN M.49, the Language
---
>    withdrawn by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166, and UN M.49, the Language
1605c1605
<    15924, ISO 3166/MA, and UN M.49 are reflected in the IANA Language
---
>    15924, ISO 3166, and UN M.49 are reflected in the IANA Language
1704c1704
<    14.  Codes assigned by ISO 15924 and ISO 3166/MA in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 list that do not conflict
---
>    14.  Codes assigned by ISO 15924 and ISO 3166 that do not conflict
1709c1709
<    15.  Codes assigned by ISO 639, ISO 15924, or ISO 3166/MA in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 list that are
---
>    15.  Codes assigned by ISO 639, ISO 15924, or ISO 3166 that are
1726c1726
<    16.  Codes assigned by ISO 639, ISO 15924, or ISO 3166/MA in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 list that conflict
---
>    16.  Codes assigned by ISO 639, ISO 15924, or ISO 3166 that conflict
1751c1751
<             standard (that is, by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166-1, or UN
---
>             standard (that is, by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166, or UN
1771c1771
<         D.  For ISO 3166-1 codes, if the newly assigned code's meaning is
---
>         D.  For ISO 3166 codes, if the newly assigned code's meaning is
1776c1776
<             indicating the relationship to the new ISO 3166-1 code.
---
>             indicating the relationship to the new ISO 3166 code.
1778c1778
<         E.  For ISO 3166-1 codes, if the newly assigned code's meaning is
---
>         E.  For ISO 3166 codes, if the newly assigned code's meaning is
1785c1785
<         F.  For ISO 3166-1 codes, if there is no associated UN numeric
---
>         F.  For ISO 3166 codes, if there is no associated UN numeric
1808,1809c1808,1809
<         there is no corresponding ISO 3166-1 code SHOULD NOT be
<         registered, except as a surrogate for an ISO 3166-1 code that is
---
>         there is no corresponding ISO 3166 code SHOULD NOT be
>         registered, except as a surrogate for an ISO 3166 code that is
1811c1811
<         becomes necessary, then the registration authority for ISO 3166-1
---
>         becomes necessary, then the registration authority for ISO 3166
1813c1813
<         the petition for a code assignment by ISO 3166/MA is refused or not
---
>         the petition for a code assignment by ISO 3166 is refused or not
1817c1817
<         value of last resort in cases where ISO 3166/MA reassigns a
---
>         value of last resort in cases where ISO 3166 reassigns a
1871c1871
<    with ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166-1, and UN M.49 within the limits
---
>    with ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166, and UN M.49 within the limits
2147c2147
<       to reflect assignments made by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166/MA, and
---
>       to reflect assignments made by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166, and
2198c2198
<    The maintenance agency for ISO 3166-1 (country codes) is:
---
>    The maintenance agency for ISO 3166 (country codes) is:
3008c3008
<    'QM'-'QZ' and 'XA'-'XZ' (derived from ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 private use codes) MAY
---
>    'QM'-'QZ' and 'XA'-'XZ' (derived from ISO 3166 private use codes) MAY
3547,3550c3547,3549
<               International Organization for Standardization, "ISO 
<               3166-1. Codes for the representation of names of countries
<               and their subdivisions -- Part 1: Country codes".
<               Second edition ISO 3166-1:2006, November 2006.
---
>               International Organization for Standardization, "ISO 3166-
>               1:1997. Codes for the representation of names of countries
>               and their subdivisions -- Part 1: Country codes", 1997.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru