Subject: [Ltru] Swiss German and Alsatian

From: Nicolas Krebs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:46:57 +0100

Hello 

There is no detail in 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=gsw
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4645bis-02
http://www.langtag.net/registries/lsr-language.txt
http://www.langtag.net/registries/registry-html/language/gsw.html
if Alsatian is included in gsw (Swiss German, Schwyzerdütsch), 
apart the "Alemannic". 
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=gsw
show "Called 'Schwyzerdütsch' in Switzerland, and 'Alsatian' in France."
Is this right? 
If yes, please add Alsatian in the official registry, or at least in 
http://www.langtag.net/registries/registry-html/language/gsw.html

If no, please add a comment somewhere oxplaining that gsw is only for 
Swiss Alemannic. 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:00:20 -0500

> show "Called 'Schwyzerdütsch' in Switzerland, and 'Alsatian' in France."

It is right, because BCP 47 defers to ISO 639 for language subtags,
and ISO 639 defers to Ethnologue for the definitions of currently spoken
natural languages.

> If yes, please add Alsatian in the official registry, 

This appeal should properly be addressed to ISO 639-2/RA by email at
[email-masked], and/or to ISO 639-3/RA by following the instructions
at http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/submit_changes.asp .  No one else can
help you -- in particular, this mailing list cannot.

-- 
Dream projects long deferred             John Cowan <[email-masked]>
usually bite the wax tadpole.            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --James Lileks

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:12:55 +0100

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 09:46:57PM +0100,
 Nicolas Krebs <[email-masked]> wrote 

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

No, the registry is not an encyclopedia, there are never details.

> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=gsw

This is something you should report to LOC and SIL.

> http://www.langtag.net/registries/registry-html/language/gsw.html

The files in www.langtag.net/registries are automatically produced
from the registry so they cannot contain more information.

> if Alsatian is included in gsw (Swiss German, Schwyzerdütsch), 

Well, while I'm of alsatian descent, I'm not an authority on it but I
would vote for inclusion in alemanic (alsatian is just a
dialect). That's also the opinion of Wikipedia:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsacien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsatian_language (the "en" version does
not include the ISO code)

Which means that you can ask ietf-languages to register variant
"alsatian" with prefix "gsw" :-) Or a comment but my personal opinion
is that a variant reflects more the reality of alsatian.

> If yes, please add Alsatian in the official registry, 

The regular procedure is described here and alsatian is mentioned as
an example :-)

http://www.langtag.net/register-new-subtag.html

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:24:30 -0800

> help you -- in particular, this mailing list cannot.

In addition, you can use the ietf-languages list and the instructions in 
RFC 4646 to register additional information using Comments fields.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:43:05 +0900

>is that a variant reflects more the reality of alsatian.

Wouldn't gsw-fr be pretty clear for Alsatian?

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:19:53 +0100

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsatian_language 
> (the "en" version does not include the ISO code)

They now redirect Template:Sofixit to Template:Bebold,
I've boldly tried to fix it, but found no good
place for [[fr:Alsacien|]] in Template:Language :-(

 Frank