Subject: Re: [Ltru] Record-Jar Format

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:38:07 -0600

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> 255 seems quite low.

From a practical standpoint, a Comments field longer than 255 characters 
should be double- and triple-checked, to ensure all that commentary is 
really necessary to help users understand what the subtag denotes.  In 
the case of 'baku1926', there is a good amount of useful information, 
but also some encyclopedic background which might be better left in the 
registration form.  (Of course, I regard the pure-ASCII "transcriptions" 
as an abomination, and may propose removing them after the UTF-8 
Registry goes into effect.)

From a technical standpoint, Stéphane is right: there is nothing magic 
about 255 characters in the Registry, even though there may be in MS 
Access or another DBMS.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru