Subject: [Ltru] [OT] Web archiving software is brittle (was: Re: Consensus call: extlang)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:09:22 -0600

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Do note that your message in the archives is truncated 
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg10482.html>, 
> probably because of the word "F r o m" at the beginning of a line.
>
> The problem has been reported to the secretariat [rt.amsl.com #7581]. 
> In the mean time, it is better to avoid the word which starts with F 
> :-)

The archiver seems to be bunging up a lot of messages; see, for example:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg10454.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg10464.html

both of which were written in pure ASCII, with no unusual control 
characters, and both of which looked OK in the digest.

In msg10428.html, which has since been fixed, I probably should have 
known better than to start a line with "From", since this bug is 
somewhat well-known.  Using the F-word is Fine as long as it doesn't 
start in column 1.  (Maybe if you put a C in column 1 to indicate that 
the line is a comment, the archiver will accept it.)

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru