Subject: Re: [Ltru] I'm really confused by chinese in 3066bis

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 23:46:43 -0600

Leif Halvard Silli <lhs at malform dot no> wrote:

>> Where the macrolanguage tag has been historically used to denote a
>> dominant encompassed language, a duel language tag
>
> What does 'duel language tag' mean? Two language tags? Such as "cmn,
> zh" pr 'zh-cmn'?

The first is not within our ability to specify; it is up to each
application that uses BCP 47 (HTTP being one of the better-cited
examples) to decide whether to allow such compound tags.

The second is ill-formed according to our own syntax, and it would be 
utterly impossible to change our syntax so as to make it well-formed.

Sorry to be Mr. Negative tonight.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Leif Halvard Silli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 18:31:56 +0200

> Sorry to be Mr. Negative tonight.

Oh, I just tried to understand what 'duel' meant.

But the spec could say something about not relying on the macrolanguage 
tag, not even for the dominant langauge. I don't understand why the spec 
says that on SHOULD use the macrolanguage tag in certain cases. I think 
one SHOULD - when possible (when both serving and interpreting 
application can deal with it) - specify *two* tags - the most spesific 
tag and the macrolangauge tag. And then, if not possible, one MAY use 
the macrolanguage tag instead.
-- 
leif halvard silli
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru