Subject: Re: [Ltru] my technical position on extlang

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:49:06 -0600

I would like to disengage myself completely from the entire Chinese, 
extlang, macrolanguage thread.  This is turning into a battle of 
debating skills and posting volume, and I can't compete with others in 
this group.

I will have nothing further to say on this topic, except to respond to 
proposals that violate the syntax of RFC 4646.  Please do not quote or 
paraphrase what I have said in the past about extlang, or count my view 
on extlang as "pro" or "anti."

As I am continuing in my role as Registry Clerk, please do try to find 
some time to read through draft-4645 and offer any positive or negative 
feedback:

http://www.ewellic.org/rfc4645bis.html

Several formats are available for those who wish to review everything, 
just the prose, or just the Registry.  Please don't wait until WG Last 
Call or IETF Last Call to make your comments.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Nicolas Krebs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:27:57 +0200

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote 

>A question for the linguists: I suspect that "mutual intelligibility"
>is not transitive. That is, A can be "mutually comprehensible" with B
>and B with C but not A with C. Are there documented cases of
>non-transitivity?

Of course. In a linguistic continuum, two speechs/dialects/languages at 
extremities can be not mutually comprehensible altought intermediary 
being step by step. Examples such (before XIX century standardisation) 
south west european roman speechs/dialects/languages, germanic, 
sout slavic. 

It's the same as speciation of Larus argentatusaccros the north 
emisphere (hoping no creationnist is reading this). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/linguistic_continuum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larus_argentatus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ring_species