Subject: Re: [Ltru] Concrete text fixes (Re: I'm really confused by chinese in 3066bis)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 13:21:05 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> When labeling content that is unwritten (such as a recording of human 
> speech), the script subtag should not be used, even if the language is 
> customarily written in several scripts. Thus the subtitles to a movie 
> might use the tag "uz-Arab" (Uzbek in Arabic script), but the audio 
> track for the same language should not be tagged "uz-Arab"; it should 
> be tagged "uz". (The tag "uz-Zxxx" can also be used where content is 
> not written: Zxxx = "Code for unwritten documents".)

I don't have any problem with this.  I still think it is kind of silly 
that we worry about users specifying a script subtag for unwritten 
content.  That's like specifying the color of the shoes worn by a 
barefoot man.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru