Subject: Re: [Ltru] Commonwealth English orthography

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 19:42:00 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> By the way, a side note: we have a *very* preliminary results of doing 
> language detection for written Cantonese, and over a sample of the web 
> (which includes HTML, PDF, ...) we're seeing the number of Cantonese 
> being about 0.0014% of the number of Mandarin documents. I want to 
> emphasize that this is preliminary.

I'm perfectly willing to believe there are 71,000 written-Mandarin 
documents for every written-Cantonese document, at least on the Web. 
That still does not mean that tagging that one Cantonese document "zh" 
would be wrong because "'zh' has long been used to mean Mandarin only."

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:12:17 -0700

I'm not saying, and Peter is certainly not saying, that it is *wrong* to tag
Cantonese with zh. Please look at the actual wording of the message
"Macrolanguage usage" again. (I know that sometimes I read over messages too
quickly, and you may have here.)

Mark

-- 
Mark