Subject: Re: [Ltru] Macrolanguage usage

From: Nicolas Krebs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:08 +0200

Leif Halvard Silli wrote 

>It seems logical to write script before region. Just consider 
>Serbo-Croat-Bosnian-Montenegrin. It did not take me long to find 
>Serb pages where one discerned between Serbian Latin and Serbian 
>Cyrillic through the use of tags for Croatian versus Serbian. This 
>  tells me that Script is more important than Region.
>
>Other places, for instance different translated resources at 
>www.w3.org, there seems to be tendency to use Serbian as 
>"macrolanguage" since for Serbian, it is possible to switch 
>between Latin and Cyrillic. (For instance see the translations 
>offered at www.w3.org/Style .) I.e. there seems to be little need 
>for the other encompassed languages as long as Serbian is covered 
>in both scripts. It is not customary to list Region if you list 
>Script. 

The macrolanguage of hr is sh, not sr. I suggest you to: 
- not claim in Zagreb that Croatian (hr) is only a local variant of Serbian
- not claim in Zagreb that Croatian (hr) is only Serbian writen in a customary script
- not claim in Zagreb that Croatian (hr) is only Serbian writen in Latin script
- not claim in Zagreb that hr is (only) a shortcut for sr-Latn
- not claim in Zagreb that Serbocroatian encompasse Croatian  
 (because nationalism wich leeded to war the previous decade, sadly)
- not confuse encompassed languages with region
- not confuse variant with region
- not confuse script with region
- tell (me) frankly what you want, since it's look/seem i was not able to 
 help you on your wishes

In south slavic language, there are at least 
sl, hr, bs, bs-Cyrl, sr, sr-Latn, sr-Cyrl, sr-Cyrs, sr-MN, sr-BA, 
sh, sh-Latn, mk, bg. 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Leif Halvard Silli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 02:54:32 +0200

> The macrolanguage of hr is sh, not sr. I suggest you to: 

I'll make a proposal to myself: Don't think alloud. You will be 
Constabled, Doughed, Krebsed for it.
-- 
leif halvard silli
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru