Subject: Re: [Ltru] extlang or not extlang

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 18:47:16 -0600

Phillips, Addison <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

> Can you please institute some process for resolving this issue--either 
> closing off the reappearance of extlang or deciding to restore it and 
> focusing on completing the draft in the next few weeks under that 
> banner.

+1 to the call for final resolution, one way or the other.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 19:33:06 -0600

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> What happened?  Pro-extlang person #1 (I'm not naming names, because 
> this is not a personal attack) thought the effort was futile, the 
> antis would win no matter what, so I got no public support there. 
> Pro-extlang person #2 was suddenly saying there was merit in both 
> sides, and so I got no public support there either.  Pro-extlang 
> persons #3 and #4 had other priorities at the time: no fault with 
> that, people *do* have other priorities.  Pro-extlang person #5 wasn't 
> even on the list at the time.  That left me, pro-extlang person #6, 
> standing all alone.

While John isn't naming names, I recognize myself as pro-extlang person 
#3 (or maybe #4) who couldn't make most of the agreed-upon conference 
call times mesh with work, family, and sleep.  Unlike some, I didn't 
have an employer who would let me spend an hour at work talking on the 
phone about extlangs.

That's one of the nice things about e-mail discussion lists: people in 
different time zones and on different schedules can eventually make 
their contributions.  That's why, although we don't want decisions to 
take forever, it's not a good idea to go from concept to quick 
discussion to decision to draft in one day.  Not everyone can drop 
everything no matter where they are and respond.

Of course, in the two conference calls I did make, I gradually turned 
into pro-extlang person #1, because the importance of remove-from-right 
truncation held center stage, and the little I had to say about 
more-intelligent matching schemes that would not blindly throw away 
script and region subtags was not enough to sway anyone.