Subject: [Ltru] rfc4646bis-18 section 3.1.7

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 03:14:52 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

In section 3.1.7
   Occasionally the deprecated code is preferred in certain contexts.
   For example, both "iw" and "he" can be used in the Java programming
   language, but "he" is converted on input to "iw", which is thus the
   canonical form in Java.

This example of a programming environment idosyncracy isn't helpful.
Suggest deleting it, as what is "preferred" isn't an application of
the BCP.

Very minor.

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:22:07 -0500

> This example of a programming environment idosyncracy isn't helpful.

I think it's quite helpful, showing a Real World context where
one might continue to use a deprecated code indefinitely.

-- 
"Well, I'm back."  --Sam        John Cowan <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:50:23 -0700

Hi -

> From: "John Cowan" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:22 AM
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] rfc4646bis-18 section 3.1.7
>
> Randy Presuhn scripsit:
> 

But is it *really* a BCP 47 language tag, or merely a code used
in the Java environment that happens to look like one?  If these
things aren't tru BCP 47 tags, we shouldnt be talking about them.

Randy

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 21:40:41 -0500

Randy Presuhn scripsit:

> in the Java environment that happens to look like one?  

Sure it is: it just happens for hysterical raisins to use a deprecated
code for "Hebrew".

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  http://ccil.org/~cowan
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should
be governed was restricted to six persons in each thousand of its population.
For the nine hundred and ninety-four to express dissatisfaction with the
regnant system and propose to change it, would have made the whole six
shudder as one man, it would have been so disloyal, so dishonorable, such
putrid black treason.  --Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:57:16 -0800

-1I agree with John. This is a useful example and should not be removed.
Mark