Subject: [Ltru] 4646bis-18 2.2.4 (4)(e) obfuscation

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:39:54 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

I've done a close reading of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-18.txt

On Page 15, in section 2.2.4 item (4) (e) we have:
       E.  UN numeric codes and ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes for countries
           or areas listed as eligible for registration in Section 4 of
           [RFC4645] but not presently registered MAY be entered into
           the IANA registry via the process described in Section 3.5.
           Once registered, these codes MAY be used to form language
           tags.

The Referenced text reads:

4.  Omitted Code Elements

   The following code elements from [UN_M.49] were not associated with
   [ISO3166-1] alpha-2 code elements.  Consequently, they were not
   assigned as subtags in the initial Language Subtag Registry, but were
   valid candidates for registration as region subtags, using the
   process in [RFC4646]:

      830   Channel Islands
      831   Guernsey
      832   Jersey
      833   Isle of Man

   The last three became ineligible for registration in April, 2006,
   when the [ISO3166-1] code elements GG, JE, and IM were assigned as
   region subtags.

So it seems all this reduces down to the single case of 830?
Couldn't we come up with a less convoluted formulation?

I don't consider this a serious objection that should prevent
our handing the document over to the IESG, but I would hope
that more straightforward text might surface before IETF
last call is over.

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru