Subject: Re: [Ltru] In defense of private-use (was: Re: rfc4646bis-18 example in 2.2.7)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 07:10:03 -0700

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> As co-chair - if you really want to re-open section 4.6 of
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-18.txt
> please send text.

I do not propose any changes to text.  (I almost said so in my previous 
post, but thought it was evident.)  I was responding indirectly to YOUR 
late comment to change the "x-collatio-traditio" example, and directly 
to your remark that "we should be extremely wary of doing anything that 
might be perceived as encouraging the use of private-use subtags in the 
slightest, due to their dire consequences for interoperability."

The WG has some members who agree with your assessment of private-use, 
and some who agree with mine.  As long as we don't continue to toughen 
up the wording, to the point where private-use is "strongly discouraged" 
or deprecated or similar, then I can live with the current text. 
Otherwise I would have proposed something different long before the 12th 
hour which we are now in.

> But if we start down this path, then I really
> think we should not pass it to the IESG, but rather take it back into
> the working group until we can find agreement on this issue, and do
> another WG last call.  I don't want to go there, but if we can't
> resolve something as fundamental as 4.6, we have no business trying to
> pass this off as a BCP.

All of us are equally within our rights to make comments.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru