Subject: Re: [Ltru] FYI: validating

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:38:51 -0700

Mark Davis <mark at macchiato dot com> replied to John Cowan:

>> It so happens that except for Teng/Tfng, the second letter of the 
>> script code is redundant, so you can special-case those two, remove 
>> the second letter, and use the same algorithm as for ISO 639-2.
>>
>> You could incorporate this rule into the ISO 15924/JAC's standing 
>> rules.
>
> Theoretically. However, the JAC would have to buy off on that...

We are talking about optimizing a search for 130 region subtags, soon to 
be 133.  This could be done by simply concatenating the subtags 
alphabetically into a 520- or 532-character string, and binary-searching 
it in chunks of 4.  Asking the JAC to restrict code assignment to cater 
to a particular programming scenario, when ISO 15924 already provides 
numeric code elements, seems like a non-starter to me.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ