Subject: [Ltru] Possible issue: remove "first edition" from titles of standards

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:07:13 -0700

Gérard Lang has mentioned on at least two occasions (public and private) 
that the words "first edition" are not properly part of the title of ISO 
639-2 and should not be cited as such, or at least not within the 
quotation marks, as we have it in both drafts.  The ISO 639-2 Web site 
seems to corroborate this.

Upon checking, I noticed that draft-4645bis also has "first edition" in 
the title of ISO 639-3.  I don't have access to a paper copy of 639-3 
and the Web site did not resolve the question for me of whether these 
words belong in the title.

I leave it up to the co-chairs to decide whether it is worthwhile to 
open issues for this.  I mention it here only so we don't get hit with 
it again during IETF LC, or in an appeal.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:37:56 +0100

Den 2009-02-22 20.07, skrev "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>:

> Gérard Lang has mentioned on at least two occasions (public and private) that
> the words "first edition" are not properly part of the title of ISO 
639-2 and
> should not be cited as such, or at least not within the 
quotation marks, as
> we have it in both drafts.  The ISO 639-2 Web site 
seems to corroborate
> this.

and
> the Web site did not resolve the question for me of whether these 
words
> belong in the title.

I would have let this pass, but since you brought it up:

It is never part of the title per se. In this case see
http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt=639-3&searchSubmit=Search&sort=rel&type
=simple&published=on, or (expanding the search)
http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt=639&published=on&active_tab=standards.

OLD TEXT:
   [ISO639-3]
              International Organization for Standardization, "ISO 639-
              3:2007.  Codes for the representation of names of
              languages - Part 3: Alpha-3 code for comprehensive
              coverage of languages, first edition", February 2007.

NEW TEXT:
   [ISO639-3]
              International Organization for Standardization, ISO
              639-3:2007, "Codes for the representation of names of
              languages -- Part 3: Alpha-3 code for comprehensive coverage
              of languages", first edition, February 2007.

(The edition and date information could be left out for an edition generic
reference. ISO standards use template text regarding such undated
references.)

Similarly for all other ISO standards references (but not for data
files...).

I by no means insist on fixing this, but if you do do a fix for this, there
are several reference list entries to fix. Use the ISO site search
feature...

    /kent k

> I leave it up to the co-chairs to decide whether it is
open issues for this.  I mention it here only so we don't get
> hit with 

--
Doug Ewell  *
> Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN
> #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.htm
> l
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages
> –

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing
> list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:40:08 -0800

Hi -

I've added this as issue #30.

Randy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
To: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>; "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Possible issue: remove "first edition" from titles of standards

639-2 and
quotation marks, as
seems to corroborate

words

OLD TEXT:
   [ISO639-3]

NEW TEXT:
   [ISO639-3]

    /kent k

--
Doug Ewell  *
http://www.ewellic.org
> -

[email-masked]

Ltru mailing list

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:30:59 -0800

Hi -

As co-chair...

Resolution: The editor will make the necessary corrections to ISO
document titles in the references section.

I've closed the issue.

Randy

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:51:36 +0100

I assume this goes for both 4645bis and 4646bis.

    /kent k

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:41:46 -0800

Hi -

> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>; "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:51 AM
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Issue #30: remove "first edition" from titles of standards
> 
...

The issue was only raised regarding 4645bis.

Randy

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:50:36 +0100

But the same issue occurs also in the editors's working copy of draft 21
of 4646bis. For instance:

[ISO639-2]     International Organization for Standardization, ³ISO
639-2:1998. Codes for the representation of names of languages -- Part 2:
Alpha-3 code, first edition,² 1998.

Fixing this in 4645bis but not in 4646bis seems inconsistent.

    /kent k

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:19:34 -0800

Hi -

This has been entered into the tracker as issue #31.
I again repeat my request that folks making requests for
new issues do so with an appropriate subject line, rather
than piggy-backing onto some other issue.

Randy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>; "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Issue #30: remove "first edition" from titles of standards

    /kent k