Subject: [Ltru] Translation of RFC 4646bis

From: Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:47:57 +0900

Hello LTRU Working Group,

I am thinking about translating RFC 4646bis into German. A few questions:
Are there other parties thinking of translations into other languages, and
should we coordinate the work? Is there a translation policy at IETF and
something like an "authorized translation" compareable to
http://www.w3.org/2005/02/TranslationPolicy ?

Thank you,

Felix

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:09:42 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Felix Sasaki" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:47 AM
> Subject: [Ltru] Translation of RFC 4646bis
>

Translation is addressed in BCP 78 (RFC 3978).

Randy

---

From: Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:59:25 +0900

2009/7/20 Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>

> Translation is addressed in BCP 78 (RFC 3978).

This seems to address the part of the contributors to an RFC, e.g. that they
have to give non-exclusive rights to the IETF like:
"the right to let third parties translate it into languages other than
English"
But I did not find anything about the rights and obligations of such third
parties.

Felix

>
>
> Randy
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:20:41 +0200

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 07:47:57PM +0900,
 Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 45 lines which said:

> I am thinking about translating RFC 4646bis into German. A few
> questions: Are there other parties thinking of translations into
> other languages,

For several years, a group (disclaimer: I'm not a member) is
translating various RFCs in French:

http://abcdrfc.free.fr/

4646 is already translated.

I regard the translation of RFC as mostly a waste of time:

* RFCs (standards track) are normative so translation is more risky
* they are interesting only for a small number of persons, who
  typically read english

I suggest to translate instead the Web site
<http://www.langtag.net/> which is intended for a broader audience
(and which exists only in english, which is ironic).