Subject: Re: [Ltru] updated demo

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:20:45 -0600

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

> Note that the first name is typically the ISO 639-3 reference name, 
> see:
>
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-23#section-3.1.5

In fact, draft-4645bis moves things around when possible to ensure that 
the ISO 639-3 reference name is first, see:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4645bis-10#section-2.3

That said, tools should attempt to display all of the Description fields 
when possible, and use the first Description field alone only when some 
constraint prevents displaying the others.  All of the Description 
fields are correct for the given subtag.

We just had another thread on ietf-languages in which a contributor 
apparently thought 'ca' was inadequate to tag "Valencian" content; I 
don't know if that was because "Catalan" is listed first or because he 
truly believes they are different languages.

 --
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

---

From: Mark Davis ⌛ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:19:29 -0700

The concatenated Descriptions are much too long in some environments. In a
UI pulldown list or menu, for example, displaying all of the names is not
really feasible; it leads to much too wide a list for normal UIs. Moreover,
the list of Descriptions may or may not make sense for translation.

Note, for example, in my demo I even deleted the parentheticals where
possible* to shorten the names up. The demo is not subject to such length
restrictions, but, but I wanted to be more
realistic.http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfqr8rd5_25f4mx9qhr

The reference names need to be unique. In an ideal world, they could also be
used as backup names for UIs, where localizations don't exist. For that,
they would be as short as possible but complete enough to prevent
misunderstandings. So 'ca' might be "Catalan/Valencian" or something like
that. But that was not a goal for the first Descriptions in this version of
the registry.

Mark

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 08:20, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Note that the first name is typically the ISO 639-3 reference name, see:
>>
> In fact, draft-4645bis moves things around when possible to ensure that the
> ISO 639-3 reference name is first, see:
>
> constraint prevents displaying the others.  All of the Description fields
> are correct for the given subtag.
>
> apparently thought 'ca' was inadequate to tag "Valencian" content; I don't
> know if that was because "Catalan" is listed first or because he truly
> believes they are different languages.
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru
>

---

From: Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 03:36:39 +0900

2009/7/4 Doug Ewell <[email-masked]>

> when possible

That is what you get from
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/lta/language-tags/04/q?input=ca

Felix

> , and use the first Description field alone only when some constraint
> prevents displaying the others.  All of the Description fields are correct
> for the given subtag.
>

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:46:16 -0600

Mark Davis &#x231B; wrote:

> The concatenated Descriptions are much too long in some environments. 
> In a UI pulldown list or menu, for example, displaying all of the 
> names is not really feasible; it leads to much too wide a list for 
> normal UIs.

I did say, "... only when some constraint prevents displaying the 
others."  If you have a drop-down list, that would be such a constraint. 
I do the same thing in my app: if you type "ca" the drop-down list shows 
"Catalan," but both "Catalan" and "Valencian" are available on the 
drop-down list, and both display "ca".