Subject: Re: [Ltru] updated demo

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:04:56 +0200

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:38:07AM -0700,
 Mark Davis ? <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> I updated the demo at http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/languageid.jsp
> to parse extlangs. The samples include official languages and the
> scripts they use (based on CLDR data), and the names have
> localizations where available.

1) When asking for 'ca', the language is correctly identified but the
link from 'ca' goes to 'cat'. I understand the rationale (always link
to the Ethnologue) but it is confusing. It is even worse if you type
'fra', your interface redirects to 'fr' but then offers a link to
'fra'.

2) How do you choose the language name to display? 'zza' has four
names in Ethnologue (and in 4645bis), why displaying only 'Zaza'?
Because it is the first one in 4645bis?

---

From: Mark Davis ⌛ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 07:12:18 -0700

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

> 'fra', your interface redirects to 'fr' but then offers a link to

I requested some time ago that SIL treat both 2 letter and 3 letter codes
equivalently in linking, but as yet no progress. If they do that, we could
have:

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=fr

instead of

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=fra

So that's the only way to get at the code. But on that page it does list
639-1. It probably needs more explanation (the UI is *very* sparse), but I
think that's the best I can do for now.

> Because it is the first one in 4645bis?

Yes.

>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru
>

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:24:32 -0700

> Because it is the first one in 4645bis?

Note that the first name is typically the ISO 639-3 reference name, see:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-23#section-3.1.5

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.