Subject: [Lwip] Interoperable sub-GHz implementations

From: Charles Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:42:02 +0100

Dear all

I suggested adding a mention of regulatory constraints in the 
draft-ietf-lwig-terminology-03. For example in Europe ETSI standard EN 
300 220-1 imposes duty cycle constraints on operation in the 873-870MHz 
band.

As it happens this is a practical concern of the UK smart meter 
programme. They are considering the merits of sub-GHz operation but are 
concerned about violating the duty cycle constraints, which are 1% or 
0.1% depending on frequency. Apparently the new IEEE 802.15.4g PHY 
options are written around US regulations and may not map onto European 
constraints where duty cycle must be met.

This happens to be an interest of mine: how to get the improved range of 
the 863-870MHz band (vs a vis 2.4GHz) while still adhering to IEEE 
standards and not violating power and duty cycle regulations. It would 
be possible to select a combination of PHY parameters from IEEE 
802.15.4g and one or other MAC implementation (e.g. from 802.15.4e) to 
produce workable solutions for low power wireless networks, but without 
coordination that riases the likelihood of a proliferation of 
standards-compliant implementations such that offerings from different 
suppliers will not interoperate.

One appoach might be to keep an eye on what the UK smart meter programme 
is doing, and follow that, but their progress is very slow, and they 
seem to be interested in providing just a new PHY and MAC on which to 
operate Zigbee SE1.x.

Perhaps there are others in this group who have thoughts on this, or 
knowledge of current or future implementations?

-- 
Regards - Charles Palmer
Project Hydra Project Manager - Acute Technology Limited
Woodthorpe, Calver Road, Baslow, Derbyshire, DE45 1RR, United Kingdom
Mob: +44 (0)7977 577 627    Skype: Acutetech
Email: [email-masked] Web: http://projecthydra.info