Subject: [magma] RE: MSF API status

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:55:30 -0800

An updated version of the MSF API spec is now available.
The primary change is mentioned by Bill below.

Since we missed the I-D deadline, a copy of the document
is attached.

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 5:59 PM
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: MSF API status

Folks,

  I asked the Austin Group (the group that created POSIX 1003.1-2002 /
Single Unix Specification v3) for an opinion on the use of getsockopt()
vs. ioctl().  The general feeling was that a functional interface like
Erik suggested would be best.  The primary argument was that they
discourage
use of type-unsafe APIs like setsockopt()/getsockopt()/ioctl()
altogether.

  Dave and I will work on a proposal for a functional interface to the
full-state API, and bring a revised draft to the WG soon.

  Bill

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:02:08 +0200 (EET)

> Since we missed the I-D deadline, a copy of the document

A few very quick comments below.

IDMR Working Group                                     Dave Thaler
INTERNET-DRAFT                                           Microsoft
Expires September 2003                                 Bill Fenner
Type: Informational                                  AT&T Research
                                                         Bob Quinn

==> should this be Magma item?
==> Initial. Surname form for the names

                 <draft-ietf-idmr-msf-api-04.txt>

==> s/idmr/magma/

IGMPv3 for IPv4 adds the capability for applications to express
source filters on multicast group memberships, which allows
receiver applications to determine the set of senders (sources)
from which to accept multicast traffic.  This capability also
simplifies support of one-to-many type multicast applications.  It
is expected that in the near future, the same capability will be
available in IPv6 as well.

==> IPv6 doesn't have it yet?? I thought it didn't, but maybe I was
confused..

Socket option             Argument type
IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP  struct ip_mreq_source
IP_DROP_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP struct ip_mreq_source
IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP        struct ip_mreq

IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP and IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP are used to join and   
leave a source-specific group.

==> the latter should include _SOURCE too..

   int setsourcefilter(uint32_t interface, struct sockaddr *group,
                       uint32_t fmode, uint_t numsrc,
                       struct sockaddr_storage *slist);

   int getsourcefilter(uint32_t interface, struct sockaddr *group,
                       uint32_t fmode, uint_t *numsrc,
                       struct sockaddr_storage **slist);

==> s/**slist/*slist/ (or something -- they should be the same)?
==> one is sockaddr, the other sockaddr_storage; is this ok?

passed in as the original imsf_numsrc value and the total number  
of sources in the filter.

==> s/imsf_numsrc/numsrc/ ? (twice)

This draft was updated based on feedback from the IETF's Internet-
Draft Multicast Remnants (IDMR) Working Group, and the Austin

==> that's the most interesting spelling out of IDMR I've seen :-)

[1]  Gilligan, R., Thomson, S., Bound, J., and W. Stevens, "Basic
     Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6", RFC 2553, March 1999.

==> s/W. Stevens/Stevens, W./ (same for the rest) ?

Table of Contents

==> ToC must be first, after the abstract

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:02:08 +0200 (EET)

==> s/idmr/magma/

Table of Contents