Subject: RE: [magma] Combined IGMPv3 and MLDv2 MIBs

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:11:19 -0800

Hi Julian,

I did a quick skim of this draft.  Here's some initial comments:

1) Is there any reason not to move mgmdInterfaceQuerierType up so it's
in position 2 in the table?
2) mgmdInterfaceVersion says "See the compatibility section...". 
However there is no section labeled as such.
3) The compliance statements say things like "routers running MGMDv3".
However there is no protocol called MGMDv3.  Instead, I'd expect to
see host and router compliance statements for IGMPv1, IGMPv2, IGMPv3, 
MLDv1, and MLDv2.
4) mgmdSrcListTable needs an object of type InetAddressType in the 
INDEX clause before mgmdSrcListAddress. You can just move
mgmdSrcListAddressType up to position 1 and add it at the start of
the INDEX clause.
5) The MIB boilerplate needs to be updated.  For the latest, see
http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-boilerplate.html
(and also http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html)

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Chesterfield [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 1:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [magma] Combined IGMPv3 and MLDv2 MIBs

Folks,

Apologies for the late submission of the combined IGMP and MLD MIBs.
Unfortunately it did not make it into the drafts directory in time for
this meeting, however you can see an 'unofficial' version from:

http://irg.attlabs.net/rtcp_ssm/drafts/draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-00.txt

Comments/suggestions most welcome. Brian will be presenting an overview
of changes at the meeting, however, here is a brief summary:

- Management objects changed to generic term 'Multicast Group Membership
Discovery'

- Backwards compatibility section identifies version number equivalence
as
           IGMP v1-3 == MGMD v1-3
           MLD v1-2  == MGMD v2-3

- All IP addresses differentiated as v4 or v6 by an inetAddressType
variable which acts as an additional index to the interface table.

- Highest granularity of timer values applied, i.e. MaxResponseTime and
MembQueryIntvl are ms values.

Thanks,
Julian Chesterfield

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Julian Chesterfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:55:52 -0800 (PST)

Dave,

Thanks for the comments, reply inline...

> in position 2 in the table?
I placed it here for backwards compatibility reasons (since it's a new
variable), although this is perhaps not necessary, especially given the
fact that it will be a new OID etc..?

> However there is no section labeled as such.
Should be changed to 'Protocol Version compliance' section

> see host and router compliance statements for IGMPv1, IGMPv2, IGMPv3,
So, we should keep the variable name the same, and change the text to
something along the lines of:

The compliance statement for routers running IGMPv3 and/or MLDv2 and
implementing the MGMD MIB.

..for each statement. Does this sound accurate?

> mgmdSrcListAddressType up to position 1 and add it at the start of
Agreed.

> (and also http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html)
Thanks.

- Julian

---

From: Julian Chesterfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:55:52 -0800 (PST)

Dave,

Agreed.

Thanks.

- Julian