Subject: [magma] State changes

From: Christian Kaas-Petersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:11:27 +0100

draft-vida-mld-v2-06.txt states in appendix 2 in point 1, that
"routers may want to track per-host multicast listener status on
an interface".  In that case, the actions described in sections
6.4.1 and 6.4.2 need not be done, as the receiving router already
has a full knowledge of listening status of hosts, and thus can use
the same algorithm as described for hosts calculating their
interface state (section 3.2).  Further, such a router will never
send Multicast Address Specific Queries and
Multicast Address and Source Specific Queries.  Having followed the
recent discussion on the set manipulations in sections
6.4.1 and 6.4.2, I think I'm entitled to conclude, that implementors
may choose for themselves what the new router state shall be
and the actions to be taken, provided they end with the same result.

Christian

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "Rolland Vida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:01:44 +0100

Christian,

> Multicast Address and Source Specific Queries.

As I pointed out in the discussion with Erik, the MLDv2 spec does not
include host tracking. Therefore, if an MLDv2 router implementation wants to
be conform to the future MLDv2 standard, it should follow the behaviour
described in this document. Nevertheless, there might be some proprietary
implementations that do provide host tracking.
As Erik mentioned also, the sentence you talk about might be confusing. We
will try thus to rephrase it.

> Having followed the

We will write a new version of the draft, taking into account all the
modifications and including all the explanations required by Erik.
Hopefully, the new document will be clearer and easier to understand both
for implementors and simple readers.

Thanks,
Rolland

---

From: "Rolland Vida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:01:44 +0100

Christian,

Thanks,
Rolland