Subject: [magma] RFC 3678 on Socket Interface Extensions for Multicast Source Filters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:41:30 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3678

        Title:      Socket Interface Extensions for Multicast Source
                    Filters
        Author(s):  D. Thaler, B. Fenner, B. Quinn
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 36320
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-magma-msf-api-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3678.txt

The Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMPv3) for IPv4 and the
Multicast Listener Discovery (MLDv2) for IPv6 add the capability for
applications to express source filters on multicast group memberships,
which allows receiver applications to determine the set of senders
(sources) from which to accept multicast traffic.  This capability
also simplifies support of one-to-many type multicast applications.

This document specifies new socket options and functions to manage
source filters for IP Multicast group memberships.  It also defines
the socket structures to provide input and output arguments to these
new application program interfaces (APIs).  These extensions are
designed to provide access to the source filtering features, while
introducing a minimum of change into the system and providing complete
compatibility for existing multicast applications.

This document is a product of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.