Subject: [magma] Magma meeting minutes for IETF 62

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:11:38 -0800

All,

Here are the unedited minutes from the meeting. Please submit
clarifications, comments, or corrections to Brian and myself by
next Friday. Thanks to Marshall for taking the minutes.

Isidor

------------------------------------------------------------

Magma Meeting IETF 62
March 8, 2005
4:30 PM

Chairs
Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>

Brian Haberman - Agenda

Where do things stand ?
We are in good shape.

MRD is in AD follow-up

MIB has completed WG last call
one more rev to fix SMI issues

other documents are all in the RFC editor's queue

MRD Changes -
Jim Martin [email-masked]

Some followup work after 04

Changes in 04

Russ Housley pointed out that we used IPSec AH.
Should switch to ESP. This is required by RFC2401bis, and AH
lacks a signature mechanism.

Added the potentiality of using a null encryption mechanism.

Key selection was unclear - now a symmetric key manually configured.

Thomas Narten - Several unclear references to advertisements.

NeighborDeadInterval is now 3 times the received Advertisement Interval.

Header field defined protocol to IGMP - so added ICMPv6 for IPv6

He thought that jitter was too large. They did not.

Bert Wijnen had some comments.
Alex Zinin asked for some clarifications.

So, those were the 03 to 04 changes. Thomas came back and was
unhappy with the checksum calculation, but they convinced him that
their calculation was OK, as it is consistent with the way
that other protocols are doing it.

He was unhappy about the jitter, so we changed it to what he suggested 
for 05 (but independently), with an explicit jitter interval.

We are waiting for further comments before submitting 05

Question : Isn't the jitter was the same ?

A. We narrowed the window on the jitter

Pekka Savola : There is a push in security for automatic key management.
Ross might through it back asking for that.

Dave Thaler : In the change from AH to ESP, you lose checking of
IP options and header fields. Given that the draft uses header fields

Someone pointed out that they could spoof a packet and send it to me by 
unicast. Maybe there should be language saying drop it.

Jim Martin : That is reasonable.

Pekka : It still needs to be a valid neighbor, otherwise the
ESP transport will fail. If this is a MUST, its ok, but if it says that 
you SHOULD  use ESP, then there needs to be further checking.

Dave Thaler : It does not say MUST.

Bill Fenner : About the check sums. It wasn't clear to me - did you have 
to change it ?

----
Brian - for Julian Chesterfield - the MIB

Currently, after comments during last call, removed the RowStatus
ReadCreate functionality from the cache tables for security reasons.

We ran it through Smilint, and there were a few errors, which Julian 
will fix, and it will be ready for the IESG. If anyone has issues with 
the MIB, I would like to see them raised.

------
Brian - the Working Group Future

The two documents discussed here are the last ones we have. Of the
other two that were at one time considered, we are going to let MSNIP 
die a graceful or ungraceful death, and also the SSM MRD extension.

So, unless anyone has any issues that we should be raising, this will be 
the last WG meeting. Does anyone have any issues ?

Pekka : The working group will be closed ?

Brian : The working group will be closed when the document goes to the 
RFC editor's queue.

Scott Bradener : It's not when the document goes into the queue, but 
when they go out of the tree.

Dave Thaler : I would like to complement the working group for 
accomplishing what they set up to do. If there were going to be any 
changes in a new IGMP, that should be in a new working group.

Pekka : What  has been debated on and off is extensions to anycast.

And there is also MAGMA security analysis document, which would be very 
useful.

Brian : There has been push back from the universe about how anycast 
should be and could be deployed.

Toerless : Why is anycast different ? Other groups do things that have 
had push back.

Brian : At one point we had discussed putting in anycast, but there 
didn't seem to be any interest and so it died.

Greg Daley : I think that we can get the MAGMA security document into 
the groups mailing list before it shuts down.

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma