Subject: [magma] Question on IGMP snooping

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:33:47 +0530

Hello All,

In draft-ietf-magma-snooping-11.txt , it is stated that a snooping
switch must not rely only on Leave message, but should implement a
membership timeout.

1. From my understanding, the timeout value is Group Membership Interval
(as stated in RFC 2236).
This value corresponds to [Robustness variable] times [the Query
interval] plus [one query response interval].
Put in numbers this value comes to 2 * 125 + 10 = 260 secs.

Please clarify if this value is correct ? If not, pls. specify the
value.

2. Also, when a snooping switch decides that some one left a group, will
it need to update the Mcast routers attached to it ?
 I tried to get this information but could not get it. 

Thanks in advance.

-Santosh

*Disclaimer*
"This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain trade
secrets or privileged or undisclosed information. They may also be
subject to copyright protection. Please do not copy, distribute or
forward this email to anyone unless authorized. If you are not a named
addressee, you must not use, disclose, retain or reproduce all or any
part of the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If
you have received this email by mistake please notify the sender
immediately by return email and destroy/delete all copies of the email."

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "David Mastropolo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:06:10 -0800

hi Santosh,

1. yes this is correct for both V2 and V1 host port ageout. We snoop the MRT
in the packet for V2 Query environments and use that in the formula (260
seconds). For V1 Query env. we use a preconfigured timeout value (set at
default of 10 seconds, so the timeout is still 2*125 + 10)

2. Yes it should. Please see my other email to you regarding the specific
implementation details that we have chosen to use to accomplish this. 

DaveM

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [magma] Question on IGMP snooping

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

-Santosh

*Disclaimer*