Subject: [magma] MLDv1/v2

From: Rekha Mundhra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:23:10 -0700

Hi All,

Had a question regarding the MLD router behavior when MLD is enabled on an 
interface with reference to 
Neighbor Discovery RFC 4861 attached below for reference:

******* RFC 4861 ************
7.2.1.  Interface Initialization

   When a multicast-capable interface becomes enabled, the node MUST
   join the all-nodes multicast address on that interface, as well as
   the solicited-node multicast address corresponding to each of the IP
   addresses assigned to the interface.

   The set of addresses assigned to an interface may change over time.
   New addresses might be added and old addresses might be removed
   [ADDRCONF].  In such cases the node MUST join and leave the
   solicited-node multicast address corresponding to the new and old
   addresses, respectively.  Joining the solicited-node multicast
   address is done using a Multicast Listener Discovery such as [MLD] or
   [MLDv2] protocols.  Note that multiple unicast addresses may map into
   the same solicited-node multicast address; a node MUST NOT leave the
   solicited-node multicast group until all assigned addresses
   corresponding to that multicast address have been removed.
***********
What are the MLD join packets that should be sent when the interface has 
version 
MLDv1 and when the version is MLDv2. Is there some IETF document 
that provides more details on this behavior. Have not found any clear 
description
in RFCs 3810 or 2710. 

regards,
-rekha

---

From: "Beeram, Suresh KumarReddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 03:50:14 +0000

Hi Rekha,
When we are in version2 we need to send  initial reports TO_EX(Multicast address,{null}), [RV] times, [URI] seconds apart.
When we are version1 we need to send MLDV1 report for multicast address [RV] times, [URI] seconds apart .

I didn't find any IETF doc which explains in detail..but I found for MLDV2  in TAHI conformance test suite,
So same applies for MLDV1.
Refer testcase-1.

http://www.ipv6ready.org/docs/Phase2_MLDv2_Router_Conformance_Latest.pdf

Thanks
-B S Reddy

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rekha Mundhra
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [magma] MLDv1/v2

Hi All,

Had a question regarding the MLD router behavior when MLD is enabled on an interface with reference to
Neighbor Discovery RFC 4861 attached below for reference:

What are the MLD join packets that should be sent when the interface has version
that provides more details on this behavior. Have not found any clear description
in RFCs 3810 or 2710.

regards,
-rekha