Subject: Revised proposed charter (draft)

From: Steve Batsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 10:47:34 -0400

Attached is a draft version of the revised proposed charter.

Please review and comment.

Steve
-- 
Steve Batsell, Network Research Group Leader
MS  6367, Bldg 6012, 
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831
423-574-7401 (phone)
423-574-0680 (Fax)
[email-masked]
http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~sgb/net.html

Mobile Mesh Networks (mmnet) Charter

Chair(s)

* Stephen Batsell <[email-masked]>
* M.Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
* Joe Macker  <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director

* Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>

Mailing List Information

* General Discussion:  [email-masked]
* To Subscribe: [email-masked]
        * In body: subscribe mmnet
* Archive: ftp://mars.itd.nrl.navy.mil/pub/mmnet

Description of Working Group

A "mobile mesh" network is an autonomous system of mobile routers connected 
by wireless links, the union of which form an arbitrary graph. The routers 
are free to move randomly; thus, the network's wireless topology may change 
rapidly and unpredictably. The mobile networks of interest here consist of 
routers which are free to move about arbitrarily. These routers and the end 
stations may be located in airplanes, ships, trucks, cars, even on people as 
part of a wearable computer, and there may be multiple hosts per router. In 
addition, these can be used in stationary situation such as emergency sites, 
collaborative efforts using electronic notebooks, etc. where portability and 
the self-organizing features of the mobile router technology are more 
desireable to current wireless LAN technology. 

Such networks are envisioned to have dynamic, often rapidly changing, mesh 
topologies consisting of bandwidth-constrainted wireless links. These 
characteristics create a set of underlying assumptions for protocol design 
which differ from those used for the higher speed, fixed topology Internet.

The focus of the working group will be to develop both unicast and multicast 
routing protocols that will operate efficiency in a mobile mesh environment. 
The working group will also address issues that directly relate to the 
routing functionality such as interfacing to the link layer and interaction 
with or integration of a resource reservation protocol such that the 
integrated services internetworking environment can be extended into the 
mobile domain. 

It is envision that a range of requirements will exist depending on the use 
of the mobile network from a small 5-10 router system used for private 
intranetworks to large 10-50 router networks supporting several hundred users
or more. The initial goal of the working group is to develop and standardize 
both unicast and multicast protocols for a small less demanding private intranet 
that will be linked to the Internet via a gateway. After successfully reaching 
this goal, the working group will then address the case of a larger mobile 
network will with a more heterogeneous set of user requirements.

Goals and Milestones

June 96
        Hold BOF at the Montreal IETF Meeting. Provide an overview of the proposed 
        working group, outline some of the proposed mobile mesh routing protocols,
        and describe current difficulties with using existing routing protocols.

December 96
	Discuss all proposed candidate routing protocols for mobile mesh routing.
	Discuss interface issues with both the link layer and the reservation protocol. 
	Input comments into the RSVP working group.

April 1997
	Continue discussion of iscuss all proposed candidate routing protocols for mobile mesh routing.
	Discuss test implementations of proposed routing protocols. Review performance 
	issues. 

Future Meetings
        Review Internet Drafts for interface with link and transport layers.

        Submit mobile mesh routing  protocols (unicast and multicast) to the 
        IESG as proposed standards ( experimental or standards-track).

        Submit mobile mesh interface documents to the IESG as proposed 
        standards.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph P. Macker)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:04:24 -0400

Here is a revised version of the charter with some fixed typos and a few
extra words.
Please comment...

Notes:  I'd like to further discuss the scope of resource reservation and
mobility issues to be tackled.  Providing both efficient mobile mesh
routing and supporting service guarantees becomes difficult.  Certainly, at
minimum we can work towards a set of improved interface standards or
recommendations for mobile networking to better support integrated
servicing models where possible.  The Mobile-mesh RFC discusses some of
these issues in depth. Any thoughts from others on this topic and its place
within the group.

-joe
-----------------------------------------------
Mobile Mesh Networks (mmnet) Charter

Chair(s)

Routing Area Director

Mailing List Information

* HomePage: http://tonnant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mmnet_home.html

A "mobile mesh" network is an autonomous system of mobile routers connected 
by wireless links, the union of which form an arbitrary graph. The routers 
are free to move randomly; thus, the network's wireless topology may change 
rapidly and unpredictably. The mobile networks of interest here consist of 
routers which are free to move about and organize arbitrarily. These routers 
and the end stations may be located in airplanes, ships, trucks, cars, even 
on people as part of a wearable computer, and there may be multiple hosts per 
router. In addition, these can be used in semi-stationary situations such as 
emergency sites, ad-hoc collaborative efforts using electronic notebooks, etc. 
where portability and the self-organizing features of mobile router technology 
are potentially desireable. 

Operational mobile mesh networks are envisioned to have dynamic, often
rapidly changing, mesh topologies consisting of bandwidth-constrainted
wireless links. These characteristics create a set of underlying
assumptions for protocol design 
which differ from those used for the typical higher speed, fixed topology
Internet.

routing protocols which operate efficiently in a mobile mesh environment. 

It is envisioned that a range of requirements will exist depending on the use 
of the mobile network from a small 5-10 router system used for private 
intranetworks to large 10-50 router networks supporting several hundred users
or more. The initial goal of the working group is to develop and standardize 
both unicast and multicast protocols for a small less demanding private
intranet that will be linked to the Internet via a gateway. After successfully 
reaching this goal, the working group will then address the case of a
larger mobile 
network with a more heterogeneous set of user requirements.

Goals and Milestones

June 96
        Hold BOF at the Montreal IETF Meeting. Provide an overview of the
proposed 
        working group, outline some of the proposed mobile mesh routing
protocols,
        and describe current difficulties with using existing routing protocols.

December 96
        Discuss all proposed candidate routing protocols for mobile mesh
routing.
        Discuss interface issues with both the link layer and the
reservation protocol. 
        Input comments into the RSVP working group.

April 1997
        Continue discussion of all proposed candidate routing protocols for
mobile mesh routing.
        Discuss test implementations of proposed routing protocols. Review
performance 
        issues. 

Future Meetings

  (202)-767-2001         \\|//   The shortest path is often not
 [email-masked]  o o          be the best path.
    -----------------ooO-- U --Ooo-------------------------------
    |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|